Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
CeeBeePee
CeeBeePee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Mouse wheel scrolling problem

I have just downloaded and installed the latest version of Calibre (0.8.65) and, unlike previous versions, it seems there has been a significant change to the way my mouse scroll wheel is operating.

With previous versions I was able to scroll a line at a time. Now, with the latest version, it seems I am being forced to scroll a full page at a time. This mode is extremely annoying and I would like to get back my previous functionality.

Perhaps I am missing an option to change this somewhere but I have looked in all the obvious places and can see little reference to how the mouse wheel works or can be modified.

Is this a bug or is there an option to change this somewhere I have missed?
Your advice would be much appreciated.
CeeBeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBeePee View Post
I have just downloaded and installed the latest version of Calibre (0.8.65) and, unlike previous versions, it seems there has been a significant change to the way my mouse scroll wheel is operating.

With previous versions I was able to scroll a line at a time. Now, with the latest version, it seems I am being forced to scroll a full page at a time. This mode is extremely annoying and I would like to get back my previous functionality.

Perhaps I am missing an option to change this somewhere but I have looked in all the obvious places and can see little reference to how the mouse wheel works or can be modified.

Is this a bug or is there an option to change this somewhere I have missed?
Your advice would be much appreciated.
There was a UI (look and feel) problem (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188221 ) in early downloads . This may be another side effect.
If you think you got you download before Kovid posed 'fixed...re-download'. delete your old download (if you keep them) and download again, it is OK install ON TOP of the previous install (just shut down Calibre before installing )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
From the what's new page:

E-book viewer: Make paged mode the default. You can go back to the old flow mode by clicking the button with the yellow scroll in the top right corner of the viewer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
CeeBeePee
CeeBeePee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks to both theducks and kovidgoyal for your quick responses.

I am running on Window 7 64 bit so that update problem was not the solution for me but I downloaded the latest version and reinstalled it anyway just to be sure.

As kovidgoyal says ... there was a button that I had entirely missed ... the top right yellow button with a scroll on it .... I really am an idiot sometimes

Which brings me to another question: Is it possible to modify the scrolling factor so that one click of the wheel advances by one line only?

Note: this is the Windows 7 mouse setting in effect right now and this setting works in most other text based programs but not in calibre for some reason.

The reason for this requirement is that I setup Calibre as a e-reader for some disabled people - who often have to use extremely large type just to be able to see the text clearly. When the type is large you only get a few lines on the screen but a scroll click jumps too far ahead.
CeeBeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there's no way to make the wheel scroll by only a single line, the problem is the engine calibre uses to render the text does not have any way to know the size of a line or to scroll by a line. Besides, a given screen of text can have lines of different sizes, not too mention when it has an image or blank space at the bottom and so on.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
Anon Y. Mous
Anon Y. Mous began at the beginning.

Device: pc
Mouse Scrolling

I think the problem is that the mouse wheel scrolling is so much different from arrow key scrolling. With the setup / ebook I am currently reading, a single tap of the down arrow will scroll the page down approximately half a line. A turn of the mouse wheel by just 1 notch scrolls the page down by 7 lines. I would love to set the keyboard aside and kick back and just scroll with the mouse. But, 7 lines at a time is just too jarring. It takes a moment to find my place again, which defeats the whole purpose of using scrolling instead of paging.

If the mouse scrolling was either adjustable in some way, or even just dialed back to match the arrow scrolling, it would be very helpful.
Anon Y. Mous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:50 AM   #7
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
have you tried adjusting the 'Page flip' options in the Viewer: Options?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #8
Anon Y. Mous
Anon Y. Mous began at the beginning.

Device: pc
Page flip is already off. Turning it on does not help the described scrolling problem, it just turns scrolling off completely.
Anon Y. Mous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #9
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
What mouse, what O/S, what driver installed for the mouse?
PeterT is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mousewheel problem