Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
drshortcutify
drshortcutify began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Use Calibre for Sony reader highlights bookmarks and annotations

Hi everyone.

I bought a Sony PRS-T1 as what I need is to read PDFs and be able to highlight/bookmark/annotate them. It seemed to be the only reader to manage it well.

My problem is that Reader for PC is by far the most unreliable and user-unfriendly interface I have come across. For the second time in 6 months, my files have become corrupt and I must delete them and re-import my books into Reader for PC... which means that I will lose all my highlights/bookmarks/annotations (again).

I was wondering if Calibre can manage these highlights/bookmarks/annotations so I can use it instead of Reader for Sony. If that's the case, how can I import my PDFs with those highlights/bookmarks/annotations from the actual reader into Calibre?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you all!

Regards

Drshortcutify
drshortcutify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Sonylistens
Sony Customer Service Rep
Sonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Hello drshortcutify,

And good afternoon! My name is Amanda Maffei here with the Sony Support team. We're very sorry to hear that about your Reader™. I found your unit on our esupport site (www.esupport.sony.com). Here is a direct link to your model: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...OC=3#/howtoTab. It will give you some troubleshooting steps or how-to's that you might find helpful. Just click on one of the links that are on the main page if any sound like the issue that you're currently having. Or you can also try the little white box on the right hand side. Please do let us know if this doesn't fix the problem. I assure you myself or one of my team members will get back to you with a response shortly after. Thank you! =)

-Amanda Maffei

Sony Support USA
Sonylistens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshortcutify View Post
I was wondering if Calibre can manage these highlights/bookmarks/annotations so I can use it instead of Reader for Sony.
As far as I know calibre can not help you with Sony highlights, bookmarks, or annotations. There is limited support for notes via the Sony PRS-T1 notes (handwriting) exporter plugin.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
drshortcutify

DoctorOhh it seems that this plugin would allow me to keep my highlights/bookmarks etc. by combining them into the PDF file directly. This is brilliant! I can't wait to try it, thank you very much.

Dear Amanda, I have to say that the PRS-T1 is a versatile e-reader that deals very nicely with PDFs (as a researcher I needed something that reads PDFs and allowed... precisely... annotations, etc.). However your Reader for PC software is the most unreliable and user-unfriendly interface I have dealt with in my entire career as a geek. Twice in 3 months, my files have become corrupt and I have lost the annotations that I spent months making. There is no way to combine annotations in the actual file so that you can have a degree of cross-platform freedom. It constantly bugs. Just check my history with support, I never managed to get it to do what I expect from it and it spoils the whole PRS-T1 experience. What a shame. I have been a loyal Sony-buyer for 30 years, I have an overpriced VAIO too and numerous other items. But I hate to say that with Reader for PC you definitely lost me as a customer.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Merbear
Enthusiast
Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PRS-600 & Kobo & PRS-650, iTouch and iPad2
Must say I agree about the Reader software. I have the PRS600, PRS650 and just got the T2. I love my readers but have had nothing but problems with the software versions. I must say I also don't like the Kobo software as well. Calibre is the easiest and most efficient way to handle my library.
Merbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
drshortcutify

Amanda can you please let us know if there is any way one can re-import the annotated/highlighted/bookmarked files on the reader back into Reader for PC?

Tags
bookmarks, calibre, highlights, reader for pc, sony prs-t1