Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What should I read next?
M.Y.T.H Inc. In Action by Robert Lynn Asprin 2 18.18%
The Windup Girl by Paulo Bacigalupi 3 27.27%
So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane 1 9.09%
A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan 1 9.09%
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 3 27.27%
Boom! by Mark Haddon 0 0%
Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut 0 0%
Other, because you know me better than myself. 1 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
HomeInMyShoes
Ginormous Intergalactic
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
What Should I Read Next (2nd edition)?

It's time to play everyone's favourite [sic] game, What Should I Read Next? Last time I headed off to the middle of the Earth in Jules Verne's classic. Most of this round's selections are pretty light and easy given that I've had a difficult first two-thirds of the year completing my required reading list.

Of the write-in selections from the last vote, I only didn't read D'artagnan Romances. I did read The New York Trilogy, and I am just finishing up The Shadow of the Wind.

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 08-16-2012 at 11:17 AM.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 950, 350s, N7, &...
Something by Ismail Kadare. Several are going for a trivial sum at Kobo and the 45% off coupon works.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Ginormous Intergalactic
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know you've mentioned Kadare before. I think it might make me cry. Anything in particular I should look at. The Concert seems to stand out to me as a must read and it would have made next year's list if it wasn't for Chatterjee's August, English.

If only I had a Kobo instead of a Kindle.

I see The Ghost Rider and the Successor are available at my library right now.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 950, 350s, N7, &...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I know you've mentioned Kadare before. I think it might make me cry. Anything in particular I should look at. The Concert seems to stand out to me as a must read and it would have made next year's list if it wasn't for Chatterjee's August, English.

If only I had a Kobo instead of a Kindle.

I see The Ghost Rider and the Successor are available at my library right now.
By all means read a library book first. If you like him, he's still cheap at Amazon, if not as cheap at Kobo. Sorry about that--I can't keep track of who strips'n'shifts and who doesn't (I don't, myself).

So far, I've greatly enjoyed Chronicle in Stone and Agamemnon's Daugher. Perhaps I'll read The Concert next.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Ginormous Intergalactic

I am definitely sold on trying to fit Kadare into my required reading list for next year, but I'm having a hard time giving up Chatterjee, Bukowski, and Galloway right now.

I have to laugh at "read a library book first". This year's score: e-books 16 paper 8 paper from the library 25. My favourite site on the Internet: mobileread. It's blasphemy I tell you
Old 08-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Of the ones mentioned I'd go with Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl. I loved pretty much everything about it, from the protagonist to the inventiveness of his bleak vision of the future. Not a happy book, but very, very good.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote