Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I want a UK Kindle

My Kindle and Kindle apps are registered at the US Amazon today. Some books I would like ar not available from the US Amazon store, so I thought I'd buy a Kindle from the UK store, but no dice. They are only distributed in the UK.

Does anyone know if it is possible to download a UK Kindle app and that way get access to UK Kindle books? I've heard horror stories about people that have more than one Amazon account and having their accounts deleted. I'm not willing to take that risk.
Kumabjorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
You can switch your Amazon account to the UK, but then you can't get US books. I opened a UK Kobo account and buy my UK books through that, then remove the DRM and convert to MOBI,
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 08-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
The Kindle for PC app is tied to the country from which you downloaded it, and you can only register it your account in that country. So, if you download it from Amazon.co.uk, you must register it to an account with Amazon.co..uk, and ditto with Amazon.com.

By the way, this is not at all obvious from the program itself. There's nothing in the user interface that tells you which country the app belongs to (as far as I know).

Now, once you have registered with a given country, you can purchase books from that country's Kindle store. But - not if there are territorial restrictions on the book in question. If the book isn't available for your country, you can't purchase it, regardless of whether you're using the app or a physical device.

For any given book, you can discover if there are restrictions by going to the book's page on the Amazon website (after logging into your account). If you see a note saying that pricing information is not available, then the book cannot be bought by purchasers in your country.

Buying a physical Kindle from the UK wouldn't help, even if you could. Unlike with the Kindle for PC software, the Kindle is not tied to any particular country. You could buy one in the US, and still register it to the Kindle UK store. But you'd still be up against the same geographic restrictions.

If the territorial restrictions don't apply to the book you want to buy, you could purchase it through the PC program, as per the above. But, remember, each copy is branded for a particular device, so you wouldn't be able to simply copy it to the physical Kindle (at least, now without making certain changes to it, which I understand we're not supposed to talk about here).

Please note that I am not an expert in this area. The above is based entirely on my personal experience as a "dual nationality" (UK and USA) Kindle user.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
eskimo49
Addict
eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You could try checking if it is available in some of the other online stores, like Lulu or Smashwords. Many of their e-books are available in multi formats including one that can be read on the Kindle (Mobi).

You normally have to transfer these files direct from you pc into your Kindle as you are not buying it from Amazon, so won't transfer via WiFi.
eskimo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
WhichP
WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WhichP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It is very frustrating not being able to have access to the books you want. Some amazon pages allow you to email the publisher/author and request that they make the book avaliable in your region. I would suggest doing that but you may have to wait a long, long time for them to come through.
WhichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 and Paperwhite
I do this in reverse all the time, i.e. use my UK kindle to buy books only available at the US site.

It's simple, and is unofficially sanctioned by the Kindle support people as they advised me to do it in the first place!

You first need to add a UK based address to your main Amazon account, just add it as an alternate address. Any address will do, nothing will get physically sent there.

Once done go to your Manage My Kindle page, one of the options on the left hand menu says something like Update Country. Select the new address you just added. You will be asked to confirm the switch. Once done you can browse the UK site and by whichever books you need. Once bought turn on your Kindle to download the books.

Once downloaded you can update your country back to the US again and go back to normal. The book will stay on your device. If you ever need to redownload it I think you need to swap back to the UK again.

As I said, I do this in order to purchase Kindle Active books, which for some reason are not available outside of the US.

R
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That was surprisingly easy, but I was (originally) thinking of a physical Kindle device, but discovered that the UK Amazon store doesn't ship those outside the UK.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad it helped. I don't believe there is any physical difference between a Kindle sold from Amazon UK and one sold from Amazon US.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Except that it will be registered with the UK store.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
Robmonster
Wizard!

...which you can change by the above mentioned process.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
I don't believe there is any physical difference between a Kindle sold from Amazon UK and one sold from Amazon US.
That is correct. You can register a Kindle bought in one country in the Kindle store of another country. There is no difference in the actual device. The Kindle store doesn't know or care where you bought it.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote