Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2
Unhappy Sh*t happens.

As you may have noticed, I was away for a few days, for a couple of days of vacation. I was staying at a family friend's home in Southern France, and all was good and well until I decided to leave my bag there to go a fireworks show...
As the title implies, I had a nasty surprise when we got back: the house was broken into, and my bag (among other things), was stolen. That's my usual go bag, with all my crap in it (keys, wallet, papers, laptop, Kindle, ...). Fun times. So, yep, my laptop (no really critical data there, thankfully) and PW2 are gone, and I'm still in the middle of all the administrative crap to get new papers & stuff.
Since this was a friend's house, the outcome of the insurance claim is not terribly hopeful so far...

I'm still debating whether or not getting a new PW2. (Student here, so, err, not really swimming in money, but I'm aware it could be much worse [uni costs are relatively low over here]).

Aaaaaanyway. Needed to vent .

Obviously, that put a dent in my roadmap, so it'll probably be a little while until I'm back to full speed .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
elchamaco
Enthusiast
elchamaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.elchamaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.elchamaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.elchamaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, boox
Sorry to hear that. Yeah [sh*t] happens.

In your situation I'll wait two weeks for the new kindle pw3. Or change to an android reader.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-22-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Edited for language.
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Sorry to hear that.

If they are located, send them over here -
I have a couple of rooms of electronics that need to be cleaned out.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
Barty
Wizard
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PW2, iPad 3
Ouch, you have my sympathy. Hope you can recover lost data.

I had my home burglarized once. The thieves had the courtesy to drop my wallet in a mailbox and the post office sent it back to me. I hope modern day thieves had the courtesy to back up your ethings to the cloud before wiping them ☺
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm pretty okay on the data front (those small SSDs kinda force you to think carefully about how you handle your data ;p), it basically just boils down to wasted time when restoring .
Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
My condolences... And I can sympathize with the question. I'm not sure if I would go for a Kindle again, given that other manufacturers build nice devices, too. But then, the hardware has never let me down (notable exception: the Kindle DX that denied to deal adequately with the electrically lifted - or in that case: lowered - auditorium chalkboard under which it was standing at that moment).

Well, on the positive side: Southern France and fireworks! I hope you could still enjoy that.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
Waylander
Groupie
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT Black, Kindle Paperwhite 2012
Ouch! I'm sorry man. As a fellow student I can empathise on the money front! I was wondering why you had a PW2, given that it's basically unhackable now? Also, what do you mean when you say small SSD's make you think carefully about how you handle your data? Sorry, noob question but I'm not great with complex computer stuff (I do know what an SSD is though).
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
jscarbo
Groupie
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nook HD+
Since the PW3 will probably come out this Fall, I probably wouldn't buy another PW2 until the price and features are known, unless you get a really good deal. For example, I recently bought a certified refurb PW2 from Amazon on sale for $85.

You might want to consider buying a basic Kindle now and keeping it as a back-up device after you get another PW. I use my basic Kindle as both a back up and as a loaner device when friends or family want to read one of my books.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
pazos
Enthusiast
pazos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pazos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pazos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pazos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pazos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kobo mini (fw 2.8.1b)
Sorry to hear that

My first kobo mini was stolen too (at the beach) and I bought another kobo mini (hehe I'm original)

They are so cheap these days ( I bought mine from UK, on ebay, less than 50€).

Maybe you can open a paypal-like account to receive some donations. I'll be happy if I can support you with a few €, less than 5 because I work, but I work in Spain, so not much money here
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Ouch! I'm sorry man. As a fellow student I can empathise on the money front! I was wondering why you had a PW2, given that it's basically unhackable now? Also, what do you mean when you say small SSD's make you think carefully about how you handle your data? Sorry, noob question but I'm not great with complex computer stuff (I do know what an SSD is though).
Start at about bullet #20:
http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-computer.html
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

As my info-box attests, I'm not actually without *any* reader ;p. I'm currently getting reacquainted with how sucky the PW1 was ;p.

And I'd definitely go with a K4 if I didn't already have one left .

Will probably let it stew for a while (still don't have a credit card to buy it with anyway ;p). Plus, Amazon's 30-days return thingy is still a thing, right?

@Waylander: The PW2 is (so far), still hackable, it just takes a bit more time and effort than we'd been getting used to .