Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-05-2015, 04:34 AM   #1
newman
homo viator
newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXi with 3.4.2 firmware
Which hacks for a Kindle DX with a 3.2.1 firmware?

Which hack is the right one for Kindle DXi with 3.2.1 firmware?

I have a Kindle DX (white; international edition; 3G-only) from ~2009 with YifanLu's 3.2.1 firmware - the one originally from Kindle 3 Keyboard.

Recently, I noticed many secure websites (e.g. https://www.instapaper.com) does not work, I always get "Web Browser is unable to establish a secure connection to this web site" warning.

I originally thought it's rotten-old certificate root of the Kindle's Web Browser based on WebKit. But then I went to https://www.howsmyssl.com and noticed that the most recent implementation of SSL/TLS on that 3.2.1 firmware is SSL 3.0, i.e. no version of TLS what so ever. I believe that because of POODLE, BEAST, and co. many websites disabled SSL and run TLS-only, which is not supported on 3.2.1 firmware.

Can someone with recent Kindle 3 Keyboard firmware (as of writing it's 3.4.2) visit https://www.howsmyssl.com and tell me what protocol is said to be supported in the "Version" section?

Can someone enter https://www.instapaper.com with 3.4.2 firmware and tell me whether they are able to see the homepage?

If I am correct and the problem with 3.2.1 firmware is that it does not support TLS and 3.4.2 does, it may be necessary for me to somehow update to 3.4.2, or at least update libs related to WebKit. To do that I need to JB and USBnet my Kindle, so...

I read "Font, ScreenSaver & USBNetwork Hacks for Kindle 2.x, 3.x & 4.x" by NiLuJe but I am unsure which hacks (JB, USBnet) to use? If I was running the original DXi firmware (2.5.8), I'd choose: Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_dxi_install.bin. And it would work, but it didn't for me when I tried.

Same with USBnet. Which one should I choose? Is my DXi now "K3"?
  • kindle-usbnetwork-0.55.N-k2.rar
  • kindle-usbnetwork-0.55.N-dx.rar
  • kindle-usbnetwork-0.55.N-k3.rar
  • kindle-usbnetwork-0.55.N-k4.rar

Should I build my own hack from "Snapshots of NiLuJe's hacks".

Thanks for your patience & help.
newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
Moved to the dev forum, where such questions belong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 08-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
I think I already recently beat this question to death.
List my recent posts with the forum search tools.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
See the end of the Font, Screensaver, and USBNetwork thread.

Leading up to here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=3135677

Basically, you're right. And the prognosis is not good -- unless perhaps you can somehow update YifanLu's frankenstein hack.

As for which hack -- according to YifanLu you use the same hacks as the device's original firmware: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...19&postcount=9
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #5
newman
homo viator
newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

eschwartz & knc1, thanks for your responses and links! Read the whole discussion.

So, the obvious question, I guess: Why can't we build 3.4 Frankenstein update (2.5→3.4 or 3.2→3.4) the same way YifanLu did with 3.2? I guess YifanLu released the tools he used in that process.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Tremendous amount of work with not so much to gain, I guess.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #7
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Who's gonna do the work? Obviously, someone with a DX who really wants fw3.4.2.
I don't know what you will gain other than a hopefully working TLS-enabled browser, which is not exactly most peoples' primary focus.

Are you volunteering? The source code is posted with the updater: http://yifan.lu/p/kindleupdater/
Old 08-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #8
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To install the firmware to a DX requires a K3 running 3.4.2 - -

But no one (yet) has reported if the K3 - 3.4.2 browser handles the problem sites correctly.

It seems to me that would be the first thing to find out about.

- - - -

It might be easier to just re-build Skipstone (or another light weight, modern, browser) to use a physical keyboard rather than a touch screen keyboard.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #9
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

I have had friends with K3s who were quite jealous of Skipstone on a KT. That^ has some pretty good potential even without SSL/TLS issues.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #10
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I have had friends with K3s who were quite jealous of Skipstone on a KT. That^ has some pretty good potential even without SSL/TLS issues.
The older machines may have a very old GTK / gtkwebkit installed, or none at all.
They are also challenged in computer resources.

So - light weight, its own built-in layout engine, can be built to require only a frame buffer surface (all Kindles can do that) . . . .

http://www.netsurf-browser.org/

Don't have a clue what it would look like in grayscale, but check out the frame buffer screen shots.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #11
newman
homo viator

The "problem" with JB is gone, since I realized my frankenKindle DX had to be JB before I was even able to update it to 3.x . I was also able to install USBnet but it does not work for me.. I tried this:

;debugOn
~usbNetwork
;debugOff

(Per https://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/kindle-root.) But I don't see any USB net device via ifconfig -a.

I also managed to update from 3.2.1 to 3.3 with a help from the last comment at http://yifan.lu/p/kindleupdater/. Amazon requires (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700) Kindle 3 to go from 3.2 to 3.3, then to 3.4 and then to 3.4.2. It was easy with 3.2.1→3.3 but the structure of 3.4 package is way different, I can't simply reiterate the old recipe on 3.4. See the structure:

update-Update_611680021-1725970040.dat
611680021-1725970040.ffs
999999999-reboot.ffs
rootfs_md5_list.tar.gz
rootfs_md5_list.tar.gz.sig
611680021-1725970040.ffs.sig
999999999-reboot.ffs.sig
update-adds.tar.gz
update-adds.tar.gz.sig
update-kernel.tar.gz
update-kernel.tar.gz.sig
update-patches.tar.gz
update-patches.tar.gz.sig
update-Update_611680021-1725970040.dat.sig

At least update-patches.tar.gz and update-adds.tar.gz hold significant updates (binary patches, and webkit library and browser binary, respectively).

Looking at kindleupdater_source am I correct that the scripts are able to create those files which are in kindleupdater.zip?

Dunno where to go from here. Ideas?

Had a look at NetSurf. Speaking of x86 I was able to build it and run it, both GTK+ and framebuffer based on SDL v1.2 work -- though diacritics in case of the latter was broken in framebuffer version. Unfortunately the site I am aiming for (instapaper.com) was horribly broken, wasn't able to log in, nothing.

Similar with Dillo (http://www.dillo.org/), can't log in. Best results so far I got from links/elinks (http://links.twibright.com/), a terminal-based web browser.

Wasn't able to compile SkipStone since it can't find "mozilla includes":

skipstone-1.0.1 $ ./configure
configure: error: Cannot find mozilla includes - please use --with-mozilla-includes=path_to_mozilla_includes and specify a path

Do you know why the author of SkipStone for Kindle won't support K3 or less?

Still we need someone with 3.4.2 on K3 to confirm TLS (and instapaper.com ) works... I may borrow K3 from my public library, but that may take weeks..
Old 08-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #12
newman
homo viator

So I built SkipStone with WebKit on x86 and it works great since it uses my system WebKitGTK .

Where do I get build environment in which I could build a binary for Kindle? I mean, if I build it locally the binary is just 180 KB (stripped) but is dynamically linked, i.e. it loads a LOT of other stuff. Looking at the Kindle SkipStone binary distributed here http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=194390&page=1 it is also about 180 KB, that is: it's also dynamically linked (file says as well: skipstone: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.3, for GNU/Linux 2.6.31, stripped).

From that follows, I guess, once SkipStone for Kindle installed it loads what's in Kindle already (either by Amazon, or by a third-party hack).

Where's the build environment?
Old 08-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #13
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Take a look at NiLuJe's build toolchain posted in his Snapshots thread.

It uses crosstool-ng.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-07-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:07 PM   #14
newman
homo viator

Hmm, I am afraid that if it uses what's in Kindle already by Amazon, it won't help us with the problem of TLS.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:50 PM   #15
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

So statically link a newer version of webkit in???