Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
semioticwafture
Enthusiast
semioticwafture began at the beginning.

Device: none
Taking handwritten notes on an e-ink device

Are there any readers around that satisfy all of the following?
  1. Hardware capable of taking handwritten notes
  2. e-ink (or otherwise battery life better than a week)
  3. Small enough to fit in my pocket

Ideally I'd like to use a stylus. Built-in software that allows taking notes is a major plus. Hackability is a plus. Recognizing handwriting is a minus. Taking handwritten notes on pages of books is a minor minus -- I'm only interested in writing notes that don't relate to any book.

I had hoped that the kindle touch would fit the bill, but it sounds like there's no software for that built in, and the hardware is not quite up to the job?
semioticwafture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
As far as I'm aware, there is no e-ink device that will do what you're looking for.

I'd suggest you look into something like the Galaxy Note. I think that's about as close to what you're looking for as you're going to get.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I think you can do this with the Sony.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ST1BC#overview

Or I would suggest the Galaxy Player

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3...Y/XAA-features

The Galaxy note as far as I know has thephone functionality which will cost more & get you into the contracting.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by semioticwafture View Post

Ideally I'd like to use a stylus. Built-in software that allows taking notes is a major plus. Hackability is a plus. Recognizing handwriting is a minus. Taking handwritten notes on pages of books is a minor minus -- I'm only interested in writing notes that don't relate to any book.

I had hoped that the kindle touch would fit the bill, but it sounds like there's no software for that built in, and the hardware is not quite up to the job?

With the exception of battery life better than a week the Pocket eDGe might meet your needs. Be forewarned that Entourage is out of business but there is still plenty of home brewed support on Mobileread.

Head on over to the eDGe forum and check out the Stickys. Also, here's some official Entourage videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HDbL...ure=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMSUZ...ure=plpp_video

BTW, the Sony linked to in the previous post looks pretty nice as well.

Last edited by obsessed2; 05-02-2012 at 08:15 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
As far as I'm aware, there is no e-ink device that will do what you're looking for.

I'd suggest you look into something like the Galaxy Note. I think that's about as close to what you're looking for as you're going to get.
Sony!
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
I'm not sure the Sony T1 meets your needs. I love mine, but I wouldn't say it's small enough to fit in my pocket. In fact, I bought the Sony 350 for just that reason. It fits in my back jeans pocket, and is easily usable with only one hand. I wanted a device to replace my smartphone and the 350 works great for this.

I love the T1 and it's by far the best reader I have, but when I'm leaving home I reach for the 350.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
semioticwafture
Enthusiast
semioticwafture began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no.guru View Post
I'm not sure the Sony T1 meets your needs. I love mine, but I wouldn't say it's small enough to fit in my pocket. In fact, I bought the Sony 350 for just that reason. It fits in my back jeans pocket, and is easily usable with only one hand. I wanted a device to replace my smartphone and the 350 works great for this.

I love the T1 and it's by far the best reader I have, but when I'm leaving home I reach for the 350.
Thanks to everybody who suggested the T1. I think it just about fits what I asked for - though why they made it even longer than both the kindle 4 and their own previous model I don't know (as far as I'm concerned anything more than 5 mm bigger than the screen is just an annoyance).

One thing that puts me off is that there have been reports of freezing up and other instability.
semioticwafture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
According to other posters, those problems seem to have been sorted out. My T1 is a relatively early one, and I have had occasional problems with freezing, but TBH, I don't find it such a big deal - a message pops up, I close the book, open it again, it opens at the same page, continue reading, job done. I can imagine it being really annoying if it happened on a regular basis, but as it is, it's about a 5-second interruption that occurs very infrequently.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:19 AM   #9
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I had freezing problems in the beginning but haven't had any for months now after they fixed it with one of the software updates, so I wouldn't worry about that.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
lambdadork
lambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

hanvon

I own a Hanvon Wisereader N800(8") and tried an N618(6") Both have a Wacom style stylus and handwritten note apps. I *could* stuff the N618 in the sidepockets of my cargo pants but it would be a stretch to describe it as "pocketable".
I ended up going for the 800 because the 618 was not available in WiFi, and I read a lot of (technical) pdf's. it turns out that the larger screen is also really nice for taking notes, making doodles and sketching diagrams.
I really like the hardware. It feels much sturdier then my kindle, I have no qualms carrying it with me everywhere I go, reading while being pushed around the Beijing subway system.
The firmware feels a little unfinished, it all works well enough and you get used to it but it doesn't feel very integrated.
I have no idea about its hackability, the stock firmware is based on wince, which I know nothing about. I would love to be able to run xournal on it so maybe one day i will try to boot a linux kernel on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by semioticwafture View Post

lambdadork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
cms
cms began at the beginning.

Any idea when the Hanvon e920 will be available in Europe?
cms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I saw some discussions on the Onyx Boox board that opens up note taking for a lot of readers. On the Boox Wiki you can download a blank 50 page pdf. If your reader can annotate books you can annotate this "Book" all you want. So a lot more readers than you think can do note taking. I use this trick in my Pocketbook 302 although the notes can't really be exported.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Have you considered the Boogie Board?
http://www.improvelectronics.com/us/...ng-tablet.html
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Have you considered the Boogie Board?
http://www.improvelectronics.com/us/...ng-tablet.html
That's a heck of a price. They're under $40 on Amazon.

EDIT: Now that I look more closely, the cheap ones have no way to save your files.

Last edited by khalleron; 07-24-2012 at 05:18 PM.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Looking at some of the reviews I'd hold off on the BB. There seems to be no way to recall saved notes for editing or adding to them. And there seems to be a problem that what is saved isn't what shows on the board. It needs a little more work.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote