Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 03:11 AM   #16
camtosh
Enthusiast
camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo touch
This was in the Japan Times this morning:
Despite flaws, Rakuten is 1-0 against Amazon in Japan's e-book wars

By AKKY AKIMOTO
Rakuten, Japan's largest online shopping mall — and a head-to-head rival of Amazon Japan that also hopes to expand its business globally — launched its first e-book reader, the Rakuten Kobo Touch, on July 19, getting the jump on the long anticipated Japanese release of Amazon's Kindle.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nc20120815aa.html

It is mainly a recap of what happened with the KT introduction in Japan to date, concluding with a question as to how soon a Japanese Amazon Kindle will be in Japan? Depends on the publishers' whims.
camtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
jeepark
jeepark began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
update about shopping ebooks at kobo: It works! I was able via VPN Tunnel to buy eBooks using a Japanese Address with a Swiss Credit Card. You will need a Rakuten Account to buy books btw.
I'm also looking to buy ebooks from Japanese Kobo. Can anyone tell me if there's a separate place to enter the card's billing address or will I have to go with the Japan address as the billing address? I'm asking because I'm thinking I can use hotel address as my Japan address, but my credit card company may decline the charge if the billing address doesn't match what I have on file.
jeepark is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-01-2013, 04:18 AM   #18
woe
woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepark View Post
I'm also looking to buy ebooks from Japanese Kobo. Can anyone tell me if there's a separate place to enter the card's billing address or will I have to go with the Japan address as the billing address? I'm asking because I'm thinking I can use hotel address as my Japan address, but my credit card company may decline the charge if the billing address doesn't match what I have on file.
The easiest way to get around this is to use PayPal. Kobo won't (can't?) verify the registered location of a PayPal account the way it will a credit card.
woe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #19
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My experience buying from different countries using kobo has been that I can use the same credit card, with no changes, but a postal address in the country whose store I am buying from. This works for US and Canada with a Canadian credit card. The issue with Japan may be different.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #20
jeepark
jeepark began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Thanks for ideas, guys.

As far as I can see, Rakuten Kobo store doesn't have a Paypal option. The only options are major credit cards and the billing address is restricted to Japan only in both Rakuten user profile and the per-order credit card data entry form. I can only hope that the mismatch between the entered billing address and my address on file with the issuer is not going to trip me up. I wouldn't be surprised if they used an entirely different verification system, because of how insulated their storefront is from the normal Kobo store.
jeepark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini
I was able (with a proxy server) to buy a British book from the UK Kobo store. (I didn't want to wait the six months to buy it here...) They obviously don't check the physical address, since I put down that I lived in the BBC Television Centre.

For payment options, I used a gift card that I bought online. Would doing something like that help you get your Japanese books?
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote