Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #931
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
That's fantastic... Kobo Desktop doesn't work anymore. It gives me the infamous error "kobo.exe is not a valid win32 application". Furthermore I can't use an older version, since you have to update it or you can't use it. I never see a program that force you to update it... now I have to use the sideloading installation.
You can download the Desktop from the Kobo website and install it manually.

If that doesn't work, try uninstalling the existing Kobo Desktop, then manually installing the new version.

If that doesn't work, pick up your computer, and spin three times. Then stand on one leg for two minutes. Then spin three times in the opposite direction. Stand on the other leg for two minutes. Put the computer down. Try installing the new version again.

Note: for the last bit, it helps if all of the cords and cables connected to the computer are first disconnected. And then, at the end, reconnected...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #932
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 4
Yes, I already tried... maybe I wronged some step. Must I spin clockwise or anticlockwise the first time?
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #933
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Glo, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Yes, I already tried... maybe I wronged some step. Must I spin clockwise or anticlockwise the first time?
First deosil and then widdershins if you are in the northern hemisphere. In the southern hemisphere, reverse them.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #934
trinity1
trinity1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trinity1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trinity1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trinity1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quick feeedback after upgrading to 3.5.0 (sideloaded, coming from 3.1.1).

Scrolling through shelves looks a bit fluid
During ebooks search, typing is as slow as before
Suggestions show up very slowly
... But perhaps it's just me.

No Light bug (so far)

What is annoying is the (apparently) different management of fonts: awful. Some of fonts I have uploaded (one for All: Arimo) look different, sometimes smaller, sometimes they look bold. I love Arimo since it's thin and plain, now I can't see difference between normal text and bold text. And italic as well... Sht
trinity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #935
rafadiego.gomes
rafadiego.gomes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo N613
N613

Hey guys, im new here. I want to install the 3.5.0 firmware, but i couldnt see if it is compatible with my N613 model kobo glo. I ask because the one i currently have installed dont say here that it is compatible either. Thanks!
rafadiego.gomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #936
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafadiego.gomes View Post
Hey guys, im new here. I want to install the 3.5.0 firmware, but i couldnt see if it is compatible with my N613 model kobo glo. I ask because the one i currently have installed dont say here that it is compatible either. Thanks!
Check the first message in this thread for that information. To quote the entry for the 3.5.0 firmware:

Mark 4 Hardware: Aura HD/Glo and TouchLC (Low Cost -N905C Model).

The Touch was the only Kobo touch screen ereader that came in multiple hardware variants so any Kobo Glo would use the Mark 4 hardware version of the firmware.

Regards,
David
Old 07-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #937
rafadiego.gomes
rafadiego.gomes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo N613
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Check the first message in this thread for that information. To quote the entry for the 3.5.0 firmware:

Mark 4 Hardware: Aura HD/Glo and TouchLC (Low Cost -N905C Model).

The Touch was the only Kobo touch screen ereader that came in multiple hardware variants so any Kobo Glo would use the Mark 4 hardware version of the firmware.

Regards,
David
I got confused with the information. Thanks a lot!!!
rafadiego.gomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:05 AM   #938
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, iP4, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
I know it is not officially supported, but...

Has anyone successfully tried 3.5.0 on a Mini?

Is it worth trying?
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #939
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
I know it is not officially supported, but...

Has anyone successfully tried 3.5.0 on a Mini?
I think I remember seeing a post where someone did this. Not sure which thread (probably the firmware 3.5.0 thread, in the past week or so)
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:12 AM   #940
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, iP4, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I think I remember seeing a post where someone did this. Not sure which thread (probably the firmware 3.5.0 thread, in the past week or so)
Thanks murg...

I shall have a look.

Edit: Found it here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...98#post2876998 post #66. The answer is yes.

Last edited by BeeTee-Ess; 07-19-2014 at 01:22 AM.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #941
rantoie
Enthusiast
rantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo aura hd
This is a stupid question, I am sure, but I can't seem to figure it out... On the original post where the firmware is collected, the Aura HD is listed as Mark 4 hardware, and then the Mark 5 is called "New Aura". I can't seem to figure out what the "New Aura" is, I thought that the Aura HD was the newest Aura? Is it true that the Aura HD is Mark 4, and not Mark 5? I want to make sure before I download the wrong firmware!
rantoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:37 AM   #942
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantoie View Post
This is a stupid question, I am sure, but I can't seem to figure it out... On the original post where the firmware is collected, the Aura HD is listed as Mark 4 hardware, and then the Mark 5 is called "New Aura". I can't seem to figure out what the "New Aura" is, I thought that the Aura HD was the newest Aura? Is it true that the Aura HD is Mark 4, and not Mark 5? I want to make sure before I download the wrong firmware!
The Aura HD is older than the Aura. The Aura has the capacitive touchscreen so a flat bezel while the Aura HD has the recessed screen allowing for the IR touchscreen. So far the Aura is the only Mark 5 hardware device though that may change when a new Kobo ereader is released.

Some argument over whether the extra layers for the capacitive touch screen make the Aura less sharp than the equivalent IR touch screen (Glo vs. Aura since they have the same 1024x758 screen resolution -- very little argument about the Aura HD's 1440x1080 screen being much sharper than any of Kobo's other ereaders).

Regards,
David
Old 07-27-2014, 12:48 AM   #943
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, AuraHD, PDA, Eee Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantoie View Post
The AuraHD is Mark 4 hardware. The Newer 6" Aura is the Mark 5. The AuraHD came out well before the Aura. Kobo's naming has some real issues. They have three models all called "Touch", they even have the same codename "Trinity". The AuraHD is codenamed "Dragon and the new 6" Aura is codenamed "Phoenix".

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:32 AM   #944
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughingLucas Malor can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 4
By the way, I noticed that another hardware is added in the source code for Glo. Probably newest Glo are sold with a different hw now.
(adding "who cares" tag to post)
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #945
rantoie
Enthusiast
rantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo aura hd
Thanks for the replies about the Mark models, that helps clarify things.

Since I have an HD, and for some reason I'm still on 3.3.0 FW, I'm going to prepare a side-load upgrade to 3.5.0, bundling in the ssh server, the /etc/hosts overrides of google analytics, etc. All my hacks and tweaks got overwritten by the automatic upgrade to the previous version, so now I'm going to bundle my own and side-load it.

I'm surprised that people aren't bundling and providing a complete package for people that includes all the good hacks and tweaks (like cyanogenmod for android), it would make things easier for people if there was just one update you had to install, instead of having to trawl through mobile read to find all the things you can do.
rantoie is offline   Reply With Quote