Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
nickel GUI not displaying certain characters

Problems of the GUI not displaying certain characters, even though a suitable custom font is installed, have been mentioned several times. Lately, I had this problem myself. I installed a Sanskrit-English dictionary (Sanskrit being transliterated with diacritics). In order to be able to search the dictionary, I patched the keyboard. But some characters did not show (cf. screen_01.png). They did also not show in the list of suggestions (cf. screen_01.png, screen_02.png). The problem is that the automatic font selection does not always yield the wished for results. What I tried was to remove the font or the fonts that get applied instead of the font that should be applied. Actually, I renamed the directory that contains the on-board fonts.

Code:
mv usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fontsx
One result of this is that at start, nickel does not have access to any fonts (cf. screen_03.png), but as soon as one opens a book, nickel uses the installed custom fonts (cf. screen_04.png, screen_05.png).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_01.png
Views:	47
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	151606   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_02.png
Views:	45
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	151607   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_03.png
Views:	43
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	151608   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_04.png
Views:	41
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	151609   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_05.png
Views:	42
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	151610  

Last edited by tshering; 09-13-2016 at 05:50 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
The following on-board fonts are preventing the display of the characters in question: Avenir, Amasis, Caecilia, Georgia, KBJ-UDKakugoPr6N-M. This leaves in the directory of on-board fonts on my device the following files:

Code:
[root@(none) ~]# ls usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts
GillSans-Bold.ttf            Malabar-Bold.ttf
GillSans-BoldItalic.ttf      Malabar-BoldItalic.ttf
GillSans-Italic.ttf          Malabar-Italic.ttf
GillSans.ttf                 Malabar.ttf
Gothic MB101.otf             OpenDyslexic-Bold.otf
KBJ-TsukuMinPr6N-RB.ttf      OpenDyslexic-BoldItalic.otf
KoboNickel-Bold.ttf          OpenDyslexic-Italic.otf
KoboNickel-BoldItalic.ttf    OpenDyslexic-Regular.otf
KoboNickel-Italic.ttf        Ryumin.otf
KoboNickel.ttf
Note that Gothic MB101.otf and Ryumin.otf are empty files.
The important file is KBJ-TsukuMinPr6N-RB.ttf. Without it there would be no font left that the GUI can use before a book is opened. Curiously, the GUI does not display Japanese characters, even after opening a book. (It does however still display Japanese characters in books.)
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote