Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Question Question marks instead of most special characters - HTML->mobi

I've used Calibre for a few years to create mobi and ePub files, so I'm not new at this. But with my latest conversion, from HTML to mobi, I'm getting question marks instead of many common characters such as curly quotes, hyphens, etc. I"m seeing this on both the Kindle Keyboard and Kindle Touch.

My process is Word -> save as HTML filtered -> tweak in Dreamweaver -> drag HTML file into Calibre-> convert to Mobi.

I did this process with the exact same book a week ago and it worked fine. I proofread it on my kindle, made a few corrections in the Word doc, saved as filtered HTML, tweaks in dreamweaver, import into Calibre, convert to mobi, transfer to device.

Just this morning I had seen there was an update, 0.9, and installed it. Fearing that something was wrong with the update, I uninstalled and rolled back to 0.8.69. Same results. The HTML looks fine to me - same as always.

Any ideas?
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Isn't this always the way it goes? You work on a problem for hours, then finally post on a forum for help, and then figure it out yourself. Sorry about that. I'll leave this here in case it happens to anyone else.

I was overly-enthusiastic in cleaning up Word's HTML, and deleted the following 2 lines in the head. Once I put them back (copied from an earlier version) all was well:

<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 14 (filtered)">
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That will do it
Glad you got it sorted.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
Isn't this always the way it goes? You work on a problem for hours, then finally post on a forum for help, and then figure it out yourself. Sorry about that. I'll leave this here in case it happens to anyone else.

I was overly-enthusiastic in cleaning up Word's HTML, and deleted the following 2 lines in the head. Once I put them back (copied from an earlier version) all was well:

<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 14 (filtered)">
It is removing the charset line that causes your problem. An alternative way to have fixed would be to explicitly specify the cp1252 character set in the Calibre conversion settings.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote