Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
plienas
plienas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Oh, i thought by old rumors you meant the ones talking about how it was delayed... Those came out a few weeks ago.

I don't see the reduced battery life as a problem. I am more worried about the reduced longevity of it. But i guess it would be barely noticeable.
plienas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
What do you mean by "reduced longevity of it"? How would a front lit display reduce the life of a Kindle? From what I understand, the front light (at least in terms of the Nook) is actually a separate element. So, if your front light were to die on you, your reader would become effectively a normal ereader. Has there been a rumour of a Kindle with glow being more fragile? If that were the case, then it would be a result of value engineering and I would suspect that it would apply to all products they produce at the same time, not specifically just the front light Kindle.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 07-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
plienas
plienas began at the beginning.

Device: none
What i had in mind is that constant recharging lowers the overall battery life. Of course, as i mentioned this would be barely noticeable. And i'm talking about 2-3 years of daily recharging. If i am correct most batteries have a limit of "recharges", that is, after this limit, they cannot guarantee the "normal" battery life. To be simple - think old laptops and their battery problems.

I am sure they wouldn't lower the built quality of the device itself for this front-lit feature.
plienas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I understand what you meant but old laptops used Nicad or NiMH batteries. Newer ones tend to be Li-ion which don't have the same recharge memory problems of Nicad and NiMH. That is not to say that current batteries don't have issues. I don't know what they might use but I would expect it to be at least a Li-ion.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by plienas View Post
What i had in mind is that constant recharging lowers the overall battery life. Of course, as i mentioned this would be barely noticeable. And i'm talking about 2-3 years of daily recharging. If i am correct most batteries have a limit of "recharges", that is, after this limit, they cannot guarantee the "normal" battery life. To be simple - think old laptops and their battery problems.
There are two factors which affect batteries:

1. Number of charge cycles.
2. The physical age of the battery.

For a laptop, #1 dominates, but for a reader, #2 does. Even if a light doubled the number of charge cycles (which is being on the pessimistic side), it would still be the age of the battery which would determine its life. A lithium battery will typically have a lifetime of around 5-7 years.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #21
ersott
Addict
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
No stock kindle touch in Amazon.com, but there is stock in Amazon.es.

New model soon?
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #22
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW/iPad2/5S/Tab3 Past:NewtonOMP>N120> Palm3>3c> iPAQ3850>Droid>K3>DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
No stock kindle touch in Amazon.com, but there is stock in Amazon.es.

New model soon?
Interesting observation!

Touch SO: 1-2 weeks
Touch 3GSO: 2-3 weeks!

Non SO models and non touch models available within a few days...
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote