Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Lack of chapter markers on KT

I sent the following email to Amazon's Kindle feeedback address:

"I've just bought a 3G KT for £169. And then discovered it has no progress bar showing chapter breaks/markers! My older K4 and KK had this! I used it all the time as a quick way of judging when the end of a chapter was coming up. Why have you removed it? The KT is the premium, dearest Kindle, I don't expect to lose features when "upgrading"!!!!

Please add it back, or a least add the option to turn it on/off"

And got this response:

"Kindle Touch also displays the progress bar alike other Kindle devices. Here's how:

To view your progress while reading Kindle content, tap the top of the screen to bring up additional options at the bottom of the page. The overall percentage of the book you have read, page number and location number will be displayed."
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
It looks like they didn't read (or understand) your question. It's not the progress bar that was the issue, but the chapter markers. And it's not just a question of seeing when the end of a chapter is coming up (useful as that it is). More importantly, the markers let you jump quickly from one chapter to another without going through the ToC.

I don't have a Touch, so cannot answer the question. But keep in mind that it's the publisher that decides whether or not to include chapter markers. Before blaming the Touch, you would need to check the same book on an older device.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I replied to their email and made it clear they hadn't understood my question, and their (better) response is below. As an aside, as to your point about jumping quickly between chapters, that's easy on the KT by simply swiping your finder up/down the screen.

Here's their latest reply:

"I totally understand your concern about the visual indicators as the progress bar while reading a Kindle content on your Kindle Touch.

While I understand this is inconvenient for you, I’ll personally include my interest to get a new update that displays the progress bar back again letting you know where chapters finish and also while reading a Kindle content on your Kindle Touch. I've also forwarded your suggestions to the Kindle Development Team and have specially requested to look into this feature for you.

It is always important for our Development Team to hear how customers react to all aspects. Your valuable feedback will help us improve your Kindle experience and we're glad you took time to write to us.

The Kindle Development Team along with the Kindle Technical Team is currently reviewing your suggestions about getting this feature, as we want to give our customers a fine and efficient Kindle experience and make it user friendly.

One of our aims at Amazon.com is to provide a convenient and efficient service to our customers.

Thanks for your patience and co-operation in this regard and for helping us make it better."
Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
gers1978
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
It looks like they didn't read (or understand) your question. It's not the progress bar that was the issue, but the chapter markers. And it's not just a question of seeing when the end of a chapter is coming up (useful as that it is). More importantly, the markers let you jump quickly from one chapter to another without going through the ToC.

I don't have a Touch, so cannot answer the question. But keep in mind that it's the publisher that decides whether or not to include chapter markers. Before blaming the Touch, you would need to check the same book on an older device.

Mike
As for checking the book on an oldelir device, that would do no good. I understand your point that not all books contain chapter markers, and that is indeed a publisher decision, but my point is that the KT doesn't even have the capability to show them even if the publisher includes them. This seems strange, to remove a useful feature from theit premium Kindle that exists on cheaper/lower end and older Kindles. It MUST have been a conscious decision to remove the feature, but I can't think why they would?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

At some point I've owned nearly every Kindle model and used nearly every Kindle app. It seems to me that Amazon doesn't have the various development teams communicate well with one another. Nearly every Kindle and Kindle app has inconsistencies with the others. The feature sets and interfaces should be as similar as possible, at least as far as the current generation of Kindles is concerned, but they are not even close in many cases. Amazon still has not fully implemented KF8 across all current Kindles and Kindle apps, and it was announced nearly a year ago! Amazon still hasn't fully implemented Personal Documents via the cloud across all current Kindles and Kindle apps. This too was announced nearly a year ago, yet it remains buggy as hell or simply no implemented in some cases. As I've said before, I would much prefer Amazon to take a year off from releasing new Kindles and instead concentrate on making the existing Kindles and Kindle apps less buggy, more consistent, and finally deliver all the damn features they promised BEFORE they introduce the next generation.

The Amazon store selection, Kindles, and Kindle apps remain the best option for eBooks IMO. But I think Amazon is not properly following through promised innovations. Worse yet, Amazon seems to have no regard for the simple development rule of NEVER deleting features. Deleting features is the quickest way to anger long time customers.
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Amazon still hasn't fully implemented Personal Documents via the cloud across all current Kindles and Kindle apps.
Never mind personal documents via the Cloud; they haven't even implemented the blooming Cloud itself except for people in the US!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
gers1978
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Never mind personal documents via the Cloud; they haven't even implemented the blooming Cloud itself except for people in the US!
What do you mean?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I mean exactly what I say. The Cloud is not - to the best of my knowledge - available to Kindle users outside the US. Please do correct me if I'm wrong. We certainly don't have it here in the UK.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
gers1978
Addict

Quote:
I mean exactly what I say. The Cloud is not - to the best of my knowledge - available to Kindle users outside the US. Please do correct me if I'm wrong. We certainly don't have it here in the UK.
What do you mean by Cloud? You mean the public WiFi provider "The Cloud" or Amazon's cloud storage for Kindle content?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
What do you mean by Cloud? You mean the public WiFi provider "The Cloud" or Amazon's cloud storage for Kindle content?
The latter. People in the US have the option to transfer a Kindle book to cloud storage. We in the UK don't have that option.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
gers1978
Addict

Quote:
The latter. People in the US have the option to transfer a Kindle book to cloud storage. We in the UK don't have that option.
But it works for Personal Docs in the cloud, no?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
As for checking the book on an oldelir device, that would do no good. I understand your point that not all books contain chapter markers, and that is indeed a publisher decision, but my point is that the KT doesn't even have the capability to show them even if the publisher includes them.
But that's exactly why I suggested checking on an older device - to determine whether it was the book or the device that was at fault.

As with any kind of trouble-shooting, it's a question of eliminating variables to determine exactly where the problem lies.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
gers1978
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
But that's exactly why I suggested checking on an older device - to determine whether it was the book or the device that was at fault.

As with any kind of trouble-shooting, it's a question of eliminating variables to determine exactly where the problem lies.

Mike

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I've done a lot of Googling and the KT definitely does NOT have chapter markers, on any book.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
All your Kindle content (if bought from Amazon in the first place, or if not but emailed to your @kindle email address) is stored on Amazon's servers accessed via the Archive on your Kindle. Or am I missing something here?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
To gauge how much farther I have left in a chapter, I swipe up to get to the next chapter (as previously mentioned) and look at the physical page number, and then press the back button to get back to my current page I'm reading. It's not as fast as looking at a progress bar, but it still only takes a few seconds.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote