Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Improved Charis SIL with smallcaps

Vakke and I have updated Charis SIL. The updated fonts are attached here.

These are based on the version 6 of Charis SIL. They've been renamed ChareInk6. They have had kerning added and one version has added weight for use with eInk screens that do not have the ability to add weight such as Pocketbook and Sony Reader. There is also a version with no added weight so you can add your own weight or use with LCD screens. And there is yet another version with a smaller space which in some cases does look better. And finally, the line height metrics have been adjusted to work well with ePub and with Kindles (KF8).

P.S. I've removed the version of ChareInk based on version 5 as there is no reason to use it in place of ChareInk6/ChareInk6SP.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ChareInk6SP NoWeight.zip (2.62 MB, 3040 views)
File Type: zip CharInk6 NoWeight.zip (2.62 MB, 2845 views)
File Type: zip ChareInk6 Weight.zip (1.90 MB, 1965 views)

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-18-2023 at 05:50 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Excellent, thanks a lot! I've been wanting exactly this or something similar for a while.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Excellent, thanks a lot! I've been wanting exactly this or something similar for a while.
I figured since I was giving it out to someone else, I decided to make it public since I had it posted online where I could just give out the link.

I find it looks nice and I can easily read at a smaller font size. I'm using 93% and this way, I get more per line and more lines per screen and I am not using any line height.

Code:
body {
  font-family: serif;
  widows: 0;
  orphans: 0;
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-left: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  text-align: justify;
  font-size: 93%
}
That's the body style I use. I map Charis SIL to serif as the font-family name.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've just found out that on some readers, the fonts don't work perfectly because I changed the internal name. I've unchanged the internal name back to normal and they should work fine now on all readers. Please grab the new set from the new link in post #1.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've created a new Charis SIL with smaller line spacing, more weight,and kerning

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184056

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-27-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Does the license allow you to change the font and still call it Charis SIL, and/or use that internal name (in the font metadata)?
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
Does the license allow you to change the font and still call it Charis SIL, and/or use that internal name (in the font metadata)?
I did change the names. One set is Charis SIL Modified and the other is Charis SIL Compact. Yes, I am allowed to do what I am doing and legally so.

Quote:
3.1 Can I change the fonts? Are there any limitations to what things I can and cannot change?
You are allowed to change anything, as long as such changes do not violate the terms of the license. In other words, you are not allowed to remove the copyright statement(s) from the font, but you could put additional information into it that covers your contribution.

3.6 Do I have to make any derivative fonts (including extended source files, build scripts, documentation, etc.) publicly available?
No, but please consider sharing your improvements with others. You may find that you receive in return more than what you gave.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Thank you, Jon. Do you think this is the final version? or are you going to play with it some more?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Thank you, Jon. Do you think this is the final version? or are you going to play with it some more?
You are very welcome.

These two versions are final. I am going to make another compact version because someone wants the compact line space with it being less thick.

I am also going to try modifying the font to make it bigger for the Kindle for those that want it larger by default.

So I may have other versions but not of these specific ones.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #10
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for these Jon. Installed them on my new PW and I've been using the Charis SIL Compact. Looks very nice.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
Polly7
Ebook/Ereader Lover
Polly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: K4B
Hi JSWolf,
Just wondering if you had that larger Charis SIL for Kindle, as I really like the sound of it?
Maybe you could post it here?
Polly7
Polly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly7 View Post
Hi JSWolf,
Just wondering if you had that larger Charis SIL for Kindle, as I really like the sound of it?
Maybe you could post it here?
Polly7
I will post the link to the larger version (once done) here and in the Kindle PW font thread.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you rename the two fonts (Charis Modified and Charis Compact) so I can load both versions and see which one I like better? Right now, the names of the actual font files are the same, so I can have one or the other.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Can you rename the two fonts (Charis Modified and Charis Compact) so I can load both versions and see which one I like better? Right now, the names of the actual font files are the same, so I can have one or the other.
Yep...name them whatever you want (as long as you have the -Bold, -BoldItalic, etc, moniker at the end of the name).
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Will renaming the file change the name that displays on the Aa menu?