Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
zobop
zobop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Keeping Same File Names

Is it possible in the preferences and settings to have it so that all converted files keep the same names as they started with?

When I do a large conversion of files, almost all of the file names have changed due to their metadata. Can I have it so the metadata is bypassed and the converted files keep the same name they started as?

This would be a HUGE help.

It is a monumental task to go back and manually edit every single file to be the way you want them. And it is also a monumental task to edit every single file with the metadata editor.

I like to name my files by author first, and then title. Every time I convert files, it changes them to title and then author. But many of the files also get changed to all kinds of things that I have to edit afterwards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
zobop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zobop View Post
Is it possible in the preferences and settings to have it so that all converted files keep the same names as they started with?

When I do a large conversion of files, almost all of the file names have changed due to their metadata. Can I have it so the metadata is bypassed and the converted files keep the same name they started as?

This would be a HUGE help.

It is a monumental task to go back and manually edit every single file to be the way you want them. And it is also a monumental task to edit every single file with the metadata editor.

I like to name my files by author first, and then title. Every time I convert files, it changes them to title and then author. But many of the files also get changed to all kinds of things that I have to edit afterwards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Use the Command line interface (CLI) and forget about using the GUI Library.
Read the sticky at the top about structure
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
You can make the output filenames be author then title (or author_sort then title_sort) or many other combinations. Configure the "Save template" under Preferences -> Sending books to devices or Preferences -> Saving books to disk. Sometimes you need to use a Metadata plugboard.

This does not entirely solve your problem, since the author or title might get changed on import. If you absolutely don't want the metadata (author and title) to change, then use the Preferences -> Adding books -> Configure metadata from filename and uncheck Read metadata from file contents.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
zobop
zobop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I made those changes, and the output still ends up as title>author.

Also, no cover page is sent through.
zobop is offline   Reply With Quote