Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2007, 06:54 AM   #1
ryanjone
Banned
ryanjone began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2007
Device: 6600
Nokia N95 8GB VS iPhone Apple 8GB

Hi guys,
I am new here and going to buy one of them so I wanted to know your opinions. Please drop me your beliefs that can I determine to buy one of them.
Illuminate me please!
ryanjone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
mikejackson
Banned
mikejackson began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2007
Device: N95
Re:

Hi,
N95 beats iPhone like hell, apple is new in the game so it can’t really beat the legend Nokia, iPhone might not be even user friendly but we do know that Nokia is. Check out http://www.google.com/ and get N95 Vs iPhone comparison based in user experienced opinions. Hope this will help you to finalize.
mikejackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
navid
Junior Member
navid began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2008
Device: qtek s200
n95 8gb is much better
navid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 36,528
Karma: 17733206
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
My step-son has an N95 and from what I have seen of the N95, I'd go for that over the iPhone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:33 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
HarryT's Avatar
 
Posts: 63,150
Karma: 41205449
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Nokia is you want it for practical use. iPhone if you want it as a "fashion accessory".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter
 
Posts: 102
Karma: 101
Join Date: Oct 2006
Get the iphone. You will thank me later.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 36,528
Karma: 17733206
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
Get the iphone. You will thank me later.
I would more then likely say kill you later. The N95 is just so much the better phone. And it has a lot more features too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter
 
Posts: 102
Karma: 101
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would more then likely say kill you later. The N95 is just so much the better phone. And it has a lot more features too.
It has more features. But it's not a better phone. Apple has sold 4 million iphones. How many N95s have been sold? There's a reason. Not because it has every feature in the world, but because it's so easy and fun to use.

I've had about 20 phones in my life, and this is the first phone I had where I wasn't wishing for something else, something better. It has replaced my old treo and my ipod. I use it to listen to music 8 hours every day. It is the best ipod there is.

Apple really supports this phone. I had a problem with mine after 5 months (a touch sensor died) and the apple store exchanged it with a brand new one without questions. They provide significant updates to the phone on a regular basis. I have never had a phone that improved so much during the time I owned it.

And in feb, the sdk will be released and there will be an explosion of apps for it. I would expect 100s of wonderful, easy to use, fun applications available.

I have seen the N95 and the interface just sucks. It is just like all other phones, with hard to access menus accessible by clicking the left or right key, just like every phone before it. It just has a ton of features, but they haven't improved the user experience. It's like a really buff guy with tons of muscles that is still stupid - you just can't change stupid no matter how hard you try. Phones shouldn't be a pain to use. They should be intuitive and fun.

Thus, the iphone is superior. Apple is just behind Blackberry now in terms of smart phone sales. Everyone I know that has one loves it. My friend owns a cell phone store and loves it - says it's the best phone he's ever owned (he did jailbreak it and uses it with t-mobile).

So in any case, I think my comment will stand the test of time. I think more likely he will regret purchasing the N95, with the N96 (or whatever) around the corner to take things a different direction in order for nokia to try to catch up with apple.

Last edited by sfernald; 01-16-2008 at 01:06 PM.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough
 
Posts: 386
Karma: 713
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
It has more features. But it's not a better phone. Apple has sold 4 million iphones. How many N95s have been sold? There's a reason. Not because it has every feature in the world, but because it's so easy and fun to use.

The concept that more sales means a better product is complete nonsense. People buy things that are crappy and expensive, because they're popular. Period. Even when cheaper and better products are available, they will get the popular one.

This is not a comment on either phone, because I don't know anything about them, just a comment on that theory that more sales proves a better product.

Thank you.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter
 
Posts: 102
Karma: 101
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
The concept that more sales means a better product is complete nonsense. People buy things that are crappy and expensive, because they're popular. Period. Even when cheaper and better products are available, they will get the popular one.

This is not a comment on either phone, because I don't know anything about them, just a comment on that theory that more sales proves a better product.

Thank you.
In terms of a cell phone, I think that good sales is not proof but is strong evidence of a good product, a product that really works well, when there are so many products out there they can have for free with just signing up for a plan.

People are not stupid these days - the internet informs them of flaws and they will test them at the apple store before purchasing. Users have to pay quite a bit more for an iphone than most phones and also $60 a month to use the iphone on an ongoing basis so they are probably only going to do so if they really like it.

Apple sits on a huge pedestal and people love throwing rocks at it whenever they can. This was not a bad product like the Cube and some others. Sales seems to be growing. Everybody I know (in OC area) either owns one or wants one.

But in any case, the 4M in sales will make the product a better product in that apple will focus more time and energy on it, making more updates and improvements. More applications will be released. It has a really, really bright and promising future thanks to its success so far and that it worth taking into consideration.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough
 
Posts: 386
Karma: 713
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
In terms of a cell phone, I think that good sales is not proof but is strong evidence of a good product, a product that really works well, when there are so many products out there they can have for free with just signing up for a plan.

People are not stupid these days - the internet informs them of flaws and they will test them at the apple store before purchasing. Users have to pay quite a bit more for an iphone than most phones and also $60 a month to use the iphone on an ongoing basis so they are probably only going to do so if they really like it.

Apple sits on a huge pedestal and people love throwing rocks at it whenever they can. This was not a bad product like the Cube and some others. Sales seems to be growing. Everybody I know (in OC area) either owns one or wants one.

But in any case, the 4M in sales will make the product a better product in that apple will focus more time and energy on it, making more updates and improvements. More applications will be released. It has a really, really bright and promising future thanks to its success so far and that it worth taking into consideration.
People will buy what's popular. Period. Sales prove only that you have a popular product or a popular name brand.

You're actually proving my point nicely.

Quote:
Users have to pay quite a bit more for an iphone than most phones and also $60 a month to use the iphone on an ongoing basis so they are probably only going to do so if they really like it.
Maybe they really like the status they've purchased? Because it sounds pretty stupid to me to spend a lot of money on something you can get for free.

Quote:
Everybody I know (in OC area) either owns one or wants one.
You mean because it's popular?

People lined up to buy iphones when they first went on sale. Why do you suppose they did that? Because their friend had one and they were familiar with the quality of the product? Or maybe because it's from Apple, and because they had an excellent ad campaign beforehand which was intended to get the exact response it got? At that point nobody had been able to see it or use it, their only exposure to it was propaganda.

Sales won't make a company improve the product. In fact, it might make them complacent. A company will improve a product or not, sales isn't the determining factor.

Buying in hopes that promises of future developments will be realized seems rather naive too. I'd much rather buy something that has the features I want now.

I am not throwing rocks at Apple, I specifically said I don't know anything about either phone. I'm telling you that your reasoning that "because it's sold so many makes it a good thing" is flawed. Being popular doesn't mean a product is bad, but it also doesn't mean a product is good. You can think about it and learn something or remain one of the blind sheep following the popularity pack. It's your money, not mine.

Last edited by cmbs; 01-16-2008 at 02:04 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter
 
Posts: 102
Karma: 101
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
People will buy what's popular. Period. Sales prove only that you have a popular product or a popular name brand.
I understand that, but I believe that in this case, the popularity is a result of how brilliant the product is (this is my own personal belief with the iphone - I don't believe that the Big Mac is the best burger because it is the best selling burger - however on the other hand, I believe in-and-out burger popularity is a result of the great quality burger and not marketing). What I'm trying to say is that I believe the iphone is more in-an-out burger than Big Mac.

from wikipedia:

"In business, a product is a good or service which can be bought and sold. In marketing, a product is anything that can be offered to a market that might satisfy a want or need."

The iphone does a terrific job of satisifying my "want" and I believe by it's popularity, it does so for many others. Just because many people like something does NOT make them sheep. People generally buy the iphone because they are referred to it by a current owner or they have played with it and like the user interface. I believe that the quality of the product is exceptional, particularly the user interface and the os, because I have used it every day for 8-10 hours a day, so I think I'm allowed to have an opinion about the phone. I have also used many other phones, including several models of the treo and I can say flatly that no phone i have owned before compares to this phone.

Last edited by sfernald; 01-16-2008 at 02:24 PM.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:21 PM   #13
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough
 
Posts: 386
Karma: 713
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
You are purposely choosing to miss my point. Your loss.

People spending their hard earned money on things because they're popular, rather than because they've researched the options and examined their own needs and have come to an intelligent decision, does make them sheep. Exactly the way large companies like them.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #14
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter
 
Posts: 102
Karma: 101
Join Date: Oct 2006
I addressed your point. And I'm done arguing with you.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough
 
Posts: 386
Karma: 713
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
You have completely missed my point.

Now the only question is whether your desire to stick to your word is srtonger than your desire have the last word and prove me wrong.

Quite the quandary.
I'm going to make some popcorn.

Last edited by cmbs; 01-16-2008 at 02:45 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DR800 Only 4GB of 8GB SD-Card useable? DeReader iRex 6 05-18-2010 06:16 PM
Ended Kindle 1, Booklight, 8gb SD Card galavanter Flea Market 5 05-12-2009 04:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:40 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.