Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
PlatinumRunner
PlatinumRunner began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
What should my next reader be?

My current reader (Sony PRS-600) is coming to the end of its life! And I just don't know which one to go for now.

Whilst I am tempted to go for the Kindle as everyone I know has one, I have far too many books to go through the hassle of converting them to the correct file format, plus my local library doesn't rent out Kindle books.

I'm based in the UK so limited somewhat is what I can buy and also it has to be worth the hassle before I buy overseas. I've looked at the new Sony plus the Kobo but there is just too many on the market to make an informed decision.

Any advice is gratefully received!!

Thanks
PlatinumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 300, 350 Pink & Silver, Black & Red T1, K4NT, KPW, Red T3
Personally I prefer Sony over Kobo. The Kobo has too many glitches for my tastes & I don't like the form factor. I'd stick with Sony in your situation but I'd also wait to see what new models they have coming in the fall before running to the store to buy one.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 06-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1, T3T2 . Finally the Dark Side, aK-Paperwhite
T1 - anything new won't be groundbreaking, and there are some bargains about.
And it's a great piece of kit,

Also .................... install Calibre, and visit Apprentice Alf, and you'll soon have the best of all worlds
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire HD 6, Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
I have a Sony T1 and it is fantastic. I chose it over the Kindle Touch, though I love my Kindles. One of the things that sold me is the SD card slot. My T1 can hold a ton more books than my kindles with no slowing whatsoever.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
I'd still go for the Kindle. Format conversion is painless with Calibre, and you don't have to convert all your books at once; just convert them as you read them. I honestly think the Kindle Touch is the best reader on the UK market at the present time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus S, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd still go for the Kindle. Format conversion is painless with Calibre, and you don't have to convert all your books at once; just convert them as you read them. I honestly think the Kindle Touch is the best reader on the UK market at the present time.
I agree. I don't have kindle (I had returned K3 after having for a week) but most of my purchases are from Amazon. I never thought I would recommend Kindle but touch has changed my mind. I still like my Sony 650 but my next reader, if I consider buying one, would definitely be kindle touch or later versions of the same.

din
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Sony PRS-350
There's not a great deal to choose between the main three available in the UK (Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Touch & Kobo Touch). They all have their good and bad points, and it'll mainly be down to personal preferences which one will suit you best. On a basic level, I've been looking to upgrade my e-reader so have played about with display models of them, and I quite like the look and feel of them all.

I've read a few people who have upgraded to the T1 from their 650's and prefer the older Sony - though I think any of the current generation will feel a lot better than your 600.

Personally speaking, I think the PRS-T1 and the Kindle Touch are very closely matched, possibly the T1 slightly better for rooting and running apps, and borrowing library books, but then again the Kindle is £20 cheaper, has better customer support and is simply the easiest to use and buy books for wirelessly.

Both are probably slightly better than the Kobo Touch (purely down to minor glitches in the software and the way Kobo seem happier than Amazon & Sony to just have to iron out these glitches as time goes on rather than before releasing the reader). However, in the UK, you can buy a Kobo Touch for £80 (that's £30 less than the Kindle, and £50 less than the Sony), and it's really debatable whether the Kindle is worth £30 more, never mind the Sony at £50 more.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
PlatinumRunner
PlatinumRunner began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I use Calibre only because the Sony Library freezes all the time - I don't think I use it to the best of its ability, problem is time.

@carpetmojo - Didn't know about Apprentice Alf, so thanks for that tip.

Money isn't a problem as I would rather buy something of quality that does as it says on the tin, rather than buy something and instantly regret it.

@booklover6 - the SD card slot was my main reason for buying this one, along with the fact that I could read pdfs also.

So much to think about - have a feeling I will be trawling the shops this summer!
PlatinumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote