Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-29-2004, 01:45 PM   #16
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Amen.

And it's a small thing, but Yahoo is 2 GB.
brahamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:07 PM   #17
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahamt
Amen.

And it's a small thing, but Yahoo is 2 GB.

Is it?! Ooops. Figures I'd get some numbers wrong. It's *still* way more than what I'd ever use on a Pop3 mail account anyway. It's all downloaded and stored on my PC. Thankfully, I don't use Exchange, so I can also BACK UP my stored email data.

Edit --
Ooops again. I should probably clarify. You can indeed backup your email data for MS Outlook. However, you have to jump through a couple of hoops to do that. Just want to be clear that it IS possible to do.
derekweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2004, 02:14 PM   #18
alexstapleton
Enthusiast
alexstapleton doesn't litteralexstapleton doesn't litter

Except

It is rumoured gmail is planning to introduce POP/IMAP/SMTP in the future. And in the meantime there is POP goes the gmail. Of course if you NEED the rich client, then of course GMail isnt that great an option. But GMails interface is (and yes I have used, I use Gmail as my primary mail application currently) extrememly good. I preffer it to Outlook thats for sure.

It scans your emails to work out what ads it should place NEXT TO your email. It IS known that how these ads work, and if you had actually any experience of Gmail you would know how unintrusive they are. Look at gmails about page! The ads are embedded, TEXT ONLY adverts displayed in area aproximately 150 pixels wide to the right of your emails only. Not in your inbox. No where but next to the messages!

Oh yeah. Gmail also does spam blocking. And yes it does filter the spam emails away into a cunningly titled "Spam" folder.

Gmail is not designed to innundate you with ads. It displays 5-6 "relevant" text ads next to your emails. It does not embed them in your emails. Gmail is very usable. You say theres nothing which beats Yahoo but dont try other things. Nice.

I'm not saying you shouldnt use Yahoo. Decent POP and IMAP boxes are hard to come buy these days and IMAP is certainly a service i'd consider paying money for. But you've delibretely smeared Gmail by saying its scary that it scans your emails. When you now appear to agree that it isnt.

This isnt just directed at brahamt derekweb made a contribution to this nefarious image of Gmail as spying on its users too.

There are so many claims against Gmail. But they are all fairly crap. Sure it might not match some peoples needs. Requirement for local hard copy, Even bigger storage, POP/IMAP access and so on but for a very large number of people (e.g. every single hotmail user) Gmail is a fantastically good alternative to what else is easily availible. There is really very little to dissuade most people from using Gmail. After all, it is better than any other free service out there isnt it?

And you have to admit, for a free service, Gmail comes worryingly close (emphasis on the close) to being as good, if not better than Yahoo's payed service.
alexstapleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:59 AM   #19
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
QUOTE:
Gmail is not designed to innundate you with ads. It displays 5-6 "relevant" text ads next to your emails. It does not embed them in your emails. Gmail is very usable. You say theres nothing which beats Yahoo but dont try other things. Nice.

I'm not saying you shouldnt use Yahoo. Decent POP and IMAP boxes are hard to come buy these days and IMAP is certainly a service i'd consider paying money for. But you've delibretely smeared Gmail by saying its scary that it scans your emails. When you now appear to agree that it isnt.

This isnt just directed at brahamt derekweb made a contribution to this nefarious image of Gmail as spying on its users too.
----------------------------------

First. Let me clarify. I didn't smear anything. I voiced my opinion about Advertisements IN ANY FORM. I don't care if it's embedded, Pop-ups, or anything else that the Ad Industry would care to coin a phrase for. ALL ADS ARE INTRUSIVE.

Yahoo does not throw ads at me. GMail would. It's that simple for me. It's not a smear, and by your own words, you've also stated this to be fact.

As for not trying other services.... hmmm. Tell me. How many, exactly, would I have to try to get you to back off on that claim? How's this for a list? Is this enough for me to have tried other services besides just Yahoo or am I still closed minded? I'm going to clarify here: FOR ME, Nothing as yet beats Yahoo. That includes GMail, which has components that even on principle that I oppose.

Netscape.net
stargatesg1.net
hotmail.com
yahoo.com
comcast.net
sprintpcs.com
<work domain editted out>

There are more, but I refrain from going digging in my records for those domains, since they are not really used anymore after my test/trial. While I do not particularly have ANY interest in trying GMail myself, let me again say that if it suits other people to do so, please do so. No one thing is great for everyone. An idea might be suited for everyone (ie: Web Browser), but an actual particular technology is much more hard pressed to be so universal.

One last thing in my own defense. I have never, EVER claimed that GMail is scary, and to say that I have made a contribution to saying that even is quite incorrect. I expect better out of good discussions. You're more than just intelligent, which means that I also expect from you, better arguments and more accuracy in your statements ... especially when you're doing finger pointing at someone.

Also. Everyone in this thread has CONTRIBUTED to this thread. Including you. One thing you have done is be very specific on the good points about GMail, and for that I would think that everyone is pleased. I think it's great that GMail has enough points on the good side to get peoples' attention. It definitely isn't a service that will die of obscurity.

Finally. As I've said before (and others have as well)... no one service is for everyone. Marketplace competition is great for us, the endusers/consumers. GMail simply ups the Ante. and in this respect, I fail to see how that is bad.
derekweb is offline   Reply With Quote