Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
Biggetje
Biggetje began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Which driver for Kobo Aura?

Dear all,

I’m quite new in the world of eReaders and have a question for using Calibre.
What driver in Calibre needs to be selected for a proper connection with a Kobo Aura (not Aura HD)?

In Calibre I only see two Kobo drivers: “Kobo Vox and Kobo Aura HD” and “Kobo and Kobo Touch”.
Which one to choose (and does it matter)?

Thanks for the help,
Maurice
Biggetje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
I think one of them was actually Vox and Arc.

All Kobo eink devices use the Kobo & Kobo Touch Driver.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Next time I make some changes to the KoboTouch driver, I'll update the description to include the newer devices.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:45 AM   #4
icallaci
Addict
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Aura HD, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, iPad 3
I see "Kobo Vox and Kobo Aura HD" too, and that's the one I've been using. Haven't had any issues with it. Are you saying I should be using "Kobo & Kobo Touch" with my Aura HD and Aura H20?
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:03 AM   #5
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Plugins / Device Interface plugins are the drivers and have
Kobo Reader Device Interface
KoboTouch
And optionally KoboTouchExtended

Ah you are talking of the options shown by the Welcome Wizard.

The main things they do is to control the image resizing done by news processing. See Preferences / Common Options / Page Setup . Output Profile.

Vox / Aura HD set the profile to Tablet
Kobo and Kobo Touch set it to Kobo
Old 10-22-2014, 01:12 AM   #6
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up

Additionally the actual device driver is automatically selected by the devices USB ID when you attach it to your computer.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:41 AM   #7
Biggetje

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Additionally the actual device driver is automatically selected by the devices USB ID when you attach it to your computer.
Aha...that makes sense.
OK, in the Welcome Wizard I will select "Kobo and Kobo Touch” for my Kobo Aura.

Thanks all for the help.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:58 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggetje View Post
Aha...that makes sense.
OK, in the Welcome Wizard I will select "Kobo and Kobo Touch” for my Kobo Aura.

Thanks all for the help.
In my opinion it is better to select the "Kobo Vox and Kobo Aura HD" option. What is being set in the wizard is the output options to use when doing a conversion. One of the things that is done is the set the maximum size for any images in the conversions. Using the Kobo Touch option will mean it uses 800*600 as the maximum size for any images. Using the other option will use the Tablet output profile which doesn't set a maximum size (or set a size so big nothing would use it). With the tablet option, any images in the book are not resized. This is left to the device to do. And it means that if you move to a device with a higher resolution, you do not need to redo any conversions.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #9
Biggetje

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
In my opinion it is better to select the "Kobo Vox and Kobo Aura HD" option.
And it means that if you move to a device with a higher resolution, you do not need to redo any conversions.
Hmmm.... I thought the resizing (or any other formatting change for that matter) was done on the fly, when a book is transferred from Calibre to the eReader. Leaving the ePub on the computer unchanged.
So when connecting another device with a higher resolution will force Calibre to do the resizing again, specifically for that device.

But probably I’m wrong? Newbie...... so a lot of silly questions probably....

Anyway, my Kobo Aura has not yet arrived, so plenty of time to figure out some of these things.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

No, when you send a book to the device, calibre updates the metadata and the cover. It doesn't fiddle with any other parts of the book. This only changes the copy that is put on the device, not the one in the library. Unless you don't have a format that the device supports. In that case, the book is converted before being sent.

As to the resizing, the conversion will downsize an image to fit the output profile. But, it doesn't increase the size..
Old 10-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #11
icallaci
Addict
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I was talking about the choices in the Welcome Wizard. By the way, the "Kobo Reader Device Interface" and the "Kobo Touch" plugins use many of the same settings. I noticed that I don't have the same settings checked in both. Should I?
Old 10-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #12
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up

The KoboDeviceInterface is used for older devices, the original Kobo and Kobo WiFi, so don't even worry about it.

All modern Kobo eReaders use the Kobo Touch driver.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #13
icallaci
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The KoboDeviceInterface is used for older devices, the original Kobo and Kobo WiFi, so don't even worry about it.

All modern Kobo eReaders use the Kobo Touch driver.
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #14
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
I used the custom format on a floating number a long time ago and forgot. You know the saying: 'Set and Forget"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote