Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Hoods7070
Zealot
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
Cables - again ....

Is there a genuine technical reason that one MUST ONLY use the Nook cable? Can it differ that greatly from a Kobo cable?

I have been reading up on cables and it seems the NC cable is commonly very dodgy - although SoFSoG with mine. Naturally I didn't RTFM when I got the NC, and simply plugged in my Kobo cable, which is permanently attached to my PC because, unlike the Nook, it charges from the PC and is very quick too. It's just more convenient than having to go the wall charger. (Pretty poor design that the Nook DOESN'T charge while connected to the PC, if you ask me. That's bog standard with any device these days.)

I am going to have to buy a spare - being in Australia. I'd hate to get caught without one. Apparently if you call B&N they will replace your cable free of charge, just by your saying it's faulty over the phone, I read in another forum somewhere. Seems like they would get a LOT of complaints and requests so not worth their while to dicker over it. They don't appear to have ONLY the cable available anywhere - you have to shell out for either the wall adapter or the car charger too. Highway robbery really, as you can get USB chargers for $5, and non-proprietary super strength micro USB cables for about the same.
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Touch and Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods7070 View Post
Is there a genuine technical reason that one MUST ONLY use the Nook cable? Can it differ that greatly from a Kobo cable?

I have been reading up on cables and it seems the NC cable is commonly very dodgy - although SoFSoG with mine. Naturally I didn't RTFM when I got the NC, and simply plugged in my Kobo cable, which is permanently attached to my PC because, unlike the Nook, it charges from the PC and is very quick too. It's just more convenient than having to go the wall charger. (Pretty poor design that the Nook DOESN'T charge while connected to the PC, if you ask me. That's bog standard with any device these days.)

I am going to have to buy a spare - being in Australia. I'd hate to get caught without one. Apparently if you call B&N they will replace your cable free of charge, just by your saying it's faulty over the phone, I read in another forum somewhere. Seems like they would get a LOT of complaints and requests so not worth their while to dicker over it. They don't appear to have ONLY the cable available anywhere - you have to shell out for either the wall adapter or the car charger too. Highway robbery really, as you can get USB chargers for $5, and non-proprietary super strength micro USB cables for about the same.
The NC charger cable has 2 extra power pins to supply more power than a regular USB connector can supply.

You can charge the NC using any USB port or USB charger, but it will take longer (6 to 8 hours) to fully charge, and you cannot use it while charging.
You will not get the charging message (because that is only triggered by the NC cable/charger), but it will charge fine.

So the Kobo cable attached to your PC will charge the NC, it just will take more time.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Hoods7070
Zealot
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
Thanks, Geert - that's what I figured. Less power can't harm it, only too much. I won't panic then!
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote