Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Amazon Plans To Sell Ads On The Kindle Fire

Sounds fun. More likely this will be for the Kindle 2.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe...e-kindle-fire/
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Yeah, heard about that. I think we may find the next Kindle Fire having a locked bootloader because of that. It'll be interesting to see how it works. I love the ads on my K3.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 05-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Wingpeople
▲▲ Books with Altitude ▲▲
Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Interesting -- so they're only targeting the "big dogs" for these advertising.

I was curious if they'd ever follow a model like Google AdWords where small advertisers could bid for their ads to appear based on content (in this case, "content" would be downloaded books & apps).

Jessica -- you say you love the ads on your K3. We didn't get that option, but wonder what you love about the ads, since "love" and "ads" don't often seem to appear in the same sentence!
Wingpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
When I first bought a Kindle with ads the ads were usable things like $10 off on $20 purchase and lots of $1 books. Now the ads are almost exclusively for local crap I could care less about. And by local I mean usually 20+ miles away from where I live. And by crap I mean deals at stores I have never heard of and will never shop at and for things I would never buy. I wish Amazon would bring back the Amazon.com special offers and stop wasting my time with local offers.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingpeople View Post
Interesting -- so they're only targeting the "big dogs" for these advertising.

I was curious if they'd ever follow a model like Google AdWords where small advertisers could bid for their ads to appear based on content (in this case, "content" would be downloaded books & apps).

Jessica -- you say you love the ads on your K3. We didn't get that option, but wonder what you love about the ads, since "love" and "ads" don't often seem to appear in the same sentence!
Because they're like looking at an ad in a magazine. I love magazine ads - Simple, straight to the point, information less, makes us want to research more. Magazine ads are also tailored to us better than the normal internet ad (cooking ads in cooking magazines, financial ads in financial magazines, etc).

On the internet, the ads are tailored to what the site owner decides what is best for its audience - Everything (so they can get more money, heh). So we get a lot of irrelevant ads, especially on blogs and forums because they use keywords for matching. Just one mention of "car" and you get a page full of car insurance discounts for example.

And then you have advertisers who want the same ad in three sizes to cover the page.

Plus, the ads on the Kindle are mostly Amazon related. Like the one for John Mayer's new album. They have local deal ones too. I think they will put a lot of stress on making them as nice on the Fire, and of course with that huge price tag, only the big players will take advantage of it which is better.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Fire HDX 8.9, Kobo Aura H20, HD, Mini, Nexus 7.2, 10
Discussed in an earlier thread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...83#post2085683
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote