Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
thefunkygibbon
thefunkygibbon began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
New to Kobo - couple questions

Hi all,
This might be ongoing with more questions as i've only had mine for about a day, not seen anyone else mention about these so I'll ask them.

1) is it possible to have a custom photo as the "screensaver"?

2) is it possible to have the "home screen" be something other than the home screen? ie the library? I and prob most people would rather the list of own books rather than a bunch of "free sample" books that i'm not interested in and having to click a bunch of times to get to a book.

3) the mobi format books I am reading, I've skipped to the part of the books that I was up to (ie page 80/350) but on the library etc it still thinks i've only read 1% of the book. is this a bug?

4) i cant seem to highlight words in mobi format to check with dictionary. is this expected behaviour?

thanks in advance

Last edited by thefunkygibbon; 05-24-2012 at 05:29 AM.
thefunkygibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc
I can't speak on points 3 or 4 since I've never tried to read a mobi format ebook on my kobo touch but I can answer the first two. It isn't possible to have a custom photo displayed when it's asleep or powered down. It will display the cover of the last opened ebook. The home screen will show the last 5 items added/opened on the touch. The carousel at the bottom can be set to show a shortlist of items in your library. I use this a "to be read" list. In your library next to the books you'll see a heart. If you touch it so that the heart is then filled in, on the home screen when the carousel is set to shortlist those books will be displayed. I hope this helps.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
thefunkygibbon

ah yes, shortlist. didnt realize you could change the "featured" bit for shortlist. very handy. and yes after opening a whole bunch of books it seems to have replaced all the "free samples" with books i've opened recently which is much more useful.

shame about custom photo since a lot of my ebooks do not have very pretty covers. at least with the kindle it had a bunch of stock pretty pictures for sleep mode.

additional question, is there any way of changing the contrast? it seems that some books can randomly be very light and photos (not that you'd use it for that much.. but for example CBR /CBZ files) can sometimes be verrrrrrry dark.
(yeah i know its not ideal to be reading colour comic books on a e-ink reader but it would be nice to be able to, given it is supposed to support it.
(luckily theres a lot of black/white comics, which look amazing in e-ink)
Old 05-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc
As far as I know there is no way to adjust the contrast. At least I've never found a way to do it.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: KOBO Vox, Google Nexus 7, Kobo AURA, Kobo Mini
I'm pretty sure that highlighting and dictionary are only available for kepub and epub. However, you could use Calibre to convert from mobi to epub. I have converted several amazon mobi format books to epub with excellent results.

Larry Mohr
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can load an image of your choice onto your Kobo and open it right before you turn the device off or put it to sleep. See if that image then becomes your "cover" image. I think it does, but I honestly don't remember the earlier thread that discussed this.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:26 AM   #7
thefunkygibbon

yeah that works, but to be honest its a bit of a faff to do each time just because of wanting a picture on the device when its sleeping. i mean its not exactly the quickest of GUIs to be able to do so nice and easily.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon View Post
yeah that works, but to be honest its a bit of a faff to do each time just because of wanting a picture on the device when its sleeping. i mean its not exactly the quickest of GUIs to be able to do so nice and easily.
I have to agree with that. To make it easier, you could add the image as a favourite and make sure it is the first in the list at the bottom of the screen. The it would be "press the home button, press the icon on the screen".

There is another way. When you add a book to the KT, several versions of the cover is generated into the ".kobo\images" directory". These have file type of "parsed" but are just jpegs. The one with "N3_FULL" at the of its name is used when sleeping. Replace the one for the book you are reading with the image you want to use will achieve what you want.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have to agree with that. To make it easier, you could add the image as a favourite and make sure it is the first in the list at the bottom of the screen. The it would be "press the home button, press the icon on the screen".

There is another way. When you add a book to the KT, several versions of the cover is generated into the ".kobo\images" directory". These have file type of "parsed" but are just jpegs. The one with "N3_FULL" at the of its name is used when sleeping. Replace the one for the book you are reading with the image you want to use will achieve what you want.
In order to save space in the .kobo/images folder I regularly delete the "N3_FULL" files (they are the largest and erasing them seem to have no ill effect in other parts of KT operations). Maybe some other image file is used for sleep/off cover image if the N3_FULL is not available.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Check http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170236 for more images that can be dropped.
PeterT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Check http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170236 for more images that can be dropped.
Thanks for recommending my thread! (^_^)
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Lol
PeterT is online now   Reply With Quote