Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Bookworm128
Bookworm128 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Works in safe mode but not in regular boot

I am struggling now for last 2 weeks with this funny problem. Calibre v 8.51 works perfectly when I boot my windows 7 pro version safe mode with networking. I can add books from my PC, run in debug mode etc. But when I boot normally, I can not add books, trying to run in debug mode from preference, crashes with error code 5 and 1 coming up Any idea? I have already uninstalled, re-install 4, 5 times without resolution of this problem. Thanks.
Bookworm128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many android devices
Clearly some program/utility/service that is started during a normal boot is interfering with calibre. The primary suspects would be antivirus and security suites, but it could be something like a graphics or mouse driver. It could be some windows service. It could be some security setting. Or it could be some virus that sneaked onto your machine.

The approach I would take would be to disable startup programs one by one until the culprit is found. Actually, I might disable all of them (using msconfig), reboot, and see what happens. If calibre now works, then it was one of the disabled programs.Start them by hand one by one and try calibre until it breaks. Do a real reboot every now and then to verify that the behavior you are seeing is what will really happen after a restart. If calibre does not work with all startup programs disabled, then the problem is likely caused by some windows service or by something started by a service.

If this recently started, think back over what you might installed near when the problem started. If it installed anything that is started on boot, try disabling that.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
chaley's advice is good.

A faster (disable) route may be hinted at:
Open Windows Event Viewer and review error flagged messages in the various sections.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote