Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-05-2014, 03:59 AM   #1
Froide
Guru
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK HD, Samsung GS4, Laptop, Desktop. RIP: NOOK Tablet, Palm devices.
CAR TALK's Tom "Don't Drive Like My Brother" Magliozzi died 3 November 2014, at 77

I hope it's OK that I've posted the following to comment on this news in the Your favorite podcast? General Discussions thread and in the Audiobook Discussions forum, as I believe those who might be most interested in the topic congregate in those locations.
Quote:
To discuss in the LOUNGE: Car Talk's Tom Magliozzi died 3 Nov 2014

FYI, HarryT placed my following post in the Lounge: CAR TALK's Tom "Don't Drive Like My Brother" Magliozzi died 3 November 2014, at 77. (Thanks, HarryT, for placing it where you feel it's most appropriate.) If interested, please come discuss it there.
My original source:
Relevance to books, mobile devices, or reading: searching the keywords "Tom Magliozzi" returns numerous works in:
For more information about Tom, here are...

Pertinent pages at Car Talk's Official Website:
Wikipedia entries:

Last edited by Froide; 11-05-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Nothing to do with books, mobile devices, or reading. Moved to the Lounge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 11-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #3
Froide
Guru
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Prompted by HarryT's feedback, I've updated my original post to include the following:

Quote:
Relevance to books, mobile devices, or reading: searching the keywords "Tom Magliozzi" returns numerous works in:
Also - and I hope it's OK - I've posted the following to comment on this news in the Your favorite podcast? General Discussions thread and in the Audiobook Discussions forum, as I believe those interested in the topic congregate there.
Quote:
To discuss in the LOUNGE: Car Talk's Tom Magliozzi died 3 Nov 2014

FYI, HarryT placed my following post in the Lounge: CAR TALK's Tom "Don't Drive Like My Brother" Magliozzi died 3 November 2014, at 77. (Thanks, HarryT, for placing it where you feel it's most appropriate.) If interested, please come discuss it there.

Last edited by Froide; 11-05-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:36 AM   #4
cromag
Surfing the alpha waves ~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Jetbook Mini, Netbook, and two Androids
I discovered Car Talk about 15 years ago. My local PBS station has always scheduled it for Saturday morning, far earlier than I'm ever likely to be up. For the first few years I used a portable radio/cassette recorder with a timer function and some C-120 tapes to record the shows. Now, I download the podcasts. Even the re-runs of the past couple of years are wonderful.

As was mentioned on today's Fresh Air, it's especially terrible that someone with Tom Magliozzi's humor and sharp wit should suffer through Alzheimer's disease.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:46 AM   #5
Froide
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I discovered Car Talk about 15 years ago. My local PBS station has always scheduled it for Saturday morning, far earlier than I'm ever likely to be up.
I'm an early bird, and this show (when in first runs and later, when broadcast as re-runs) kept me company many a day while I was traveling or working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
As was mentioned on today's Fresh Air, it's especially terrible that someone with Tom Magliozzi's humor and sharp wit should suffer through Alzheimer's disease.
Oh, I so agree! I was really shocked and saddened to hear that. Although I knew Tom had retired, I'd imagined he was enjoying life as a retiree with the same wit and spirit he displayed on the air. Now, I imagine Tom-as-we-knew-him-from-Car-Talk entertaining the heavenly hosts.

I'm not sure I'll listen to recorded Car Talk episodes in the near future. I may need to give it some time [for the same reason that I stopped watching The Sopranos reruns (which I never tired of) after James Gandolfini died].

Last edited by Froide; 11-05-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Prompted by HarryT's feedback, I've updated my original post to include the following:
I did check before moving the post, Froide. The reason I decided it was more appropriate for the Lounge is that even though, as you say, the gentleman does indeed have numerous items for sale at Amazon, they are all audio recordings of his radio programmes, which doesn't really fit into MR's area of interest (and absolutely no disrespect intended by saying so).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
I was so very sad to hear of Tom's passing - I've spent so much quality time listening to Car Talk and those Tappet Brothers over the years. Thank you for the Audible links Froide. I think, as you said, it'll be a bit before I'll listen to them.

Hope they have '63 Dart Swingers where Tom is now.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #8
Froide
Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
I was so very sad to hear of Tom's passing - I've spent so much quality time listening to Car Talk and those Tappet Brothers over the years. Thank you for the Audible links Froide. I think, as you said, it'll be a bit before I'll listen to them.

Hope they have '63 Dart Swingers where Tom is now.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:08 AM   #9
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My understanding is that this weekend's show will be a special tribute show to Tom, hosted by Ray. Most stations that carry the show will run the tribute -- presumably, as a regular episode in the regular time slot -- but it should also be available as a podcast.

I hate not being able to cite my sources properly, but I know that I heard it on the radio.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:13 AM   #10
cromag

Follow up -- it was a good "retrospective" from his brother. It should be available as a podcast for 2 weeks at Itunes, if they handle it like previous episodes.

You can track it down as a direct MP3 podcast via NPR, but I think they only keep it one week.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:47 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I was actually on air with the them once when I was trying to figure out how my mechanic lost my drive shaft
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote