Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRiver Story, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
screen protectors?

I still have the removable plastic sheet on the screen of my KT, while I've been looking for a screen protector for it. So far I've had no luck finding one pre-cut for the KT screen (and I'm not great at trimming them to size myself, especially with the rounded corners and all).

Can I ask please for opinions on screen protectors? Are they necessary? helpful? a pain in the bum?

I know they're not going to save the screen from breaking under impact, and they won't stay cleaner or be easier to clean than the unit's own glass ... so is there any point?

Thanks for your thoughts.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
I still have the removable plastic sheet on the screen of my KT, while I've been looking for a screen protector for it. So far I've had no luck finding one pre-cut for the KT screen (and I'm not great at trimming them to size myself, especially with the rounded corners and all).

Can I ask please for opinions on screen protectors? Are they necessary? helpful? a pain in the bum?

I know they're not going to save the screen from breaking under impact, and they won't stay cleaner or be easier to clean than the unit's own glass ... so is there any point?

I cut one to size for my KT. Works great but I have a feeling I just lucked out.. I think if the screen protector you select is too thick it may affect how the device may react. Anyone else have a screen protector on theirs? I bought the ex-point brand.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 05-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
dds
dds began at the beginning.

Am I allowed to post an eBay link here of the screen protector I use for my KT that I am quite happy with?
dds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Mini,Sony T1, Galaxy Tab 10.1,Samsung S2 phone,iPod Touch
Yes you can
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I don't use a screen protector for my KT, but I keep it in a case when I'm not using it.

Where did you look for a screen protector? There's a huge selection on Amazon and Ebay. Here's a few:

Here

Here

Here

And one from Zagg for the K4 touch, which is probably the same size.

p.s I don't own any of these screen protectors so I can't say how good they are.

Last edited by The Terminator; 05-15-2012 at 12:19 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
dds
dds began at the beginning.

This is the one I use on my Kobo Touch. It is titled for Kindle 2, but the size is the same and fits KT perfectly.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...E:L:OC:CA:1123

This one is anti-glare and I am quite happy with it.

For devices with LCD screens I use clear ones from the same seller.
I hope this helps.
dds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
I got this one with my SkinDigital case cover. It was basically free with a coupon I found so I figured 'why not?'
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Stapleford50
Stapleford50 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:

Try Ebay for Protective screen sheets "2x ANTI-GLARE SCREEN PROTECTOR LCD FILM FOR AMAZON KINDLE 4 TOUCH & KOBO TOUCH" £1.88
Stapleford50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Jeff1192
Connoisseur
Jeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo touch
I purchased a Skinomi screen protector right away for my KT when I bought it last summer. I removed it a couple of months ago. I much preferred the experience of reading on the KT without the screen protector. I found the protector added some glare. Also, I never transport it without it being in it`s case. I really don`t think a screen protector is necessary.

Jeff
Jeff1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:

I don't think there's any point. The KT's screen is matte, and doesn't pick up finger prints. Keeping mine in a case, I've never felt the need to actually clean it. It never picks up anything but a bit of dust or lint, which can easily be blown off or wiped off with your hand.

And, as you said, it's not going to keep the screen from breaking. Ereader screens are rather delicate, and if you aren't keeping it in a case you're asking for trouble. If you ARE keeping it in a case, then it's protected from scratches anyway.

So... no point, as far as I'm concerned.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
I see no difference with my screen protector on, so I see no reason to take it off. Plus, the latch on my cover could touch the screen if I'm not careful when closing it, so why not have the scratch protection?
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote