Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
melz2
melz2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle/Calibre Duplicates

I recently started using Calibre to manage my Kindle 2 because I have a number of e-books that were downloaded elsewhere/uploaded to my Mac and needed data edited, i.e., authors added, titles corrected. Calibre seemed to edit the books on my device fine, but I now have at least 4 copies of each book on my device (far too many to delete manually on my kindle). My Calibre library says in the "On Device" category "Main (4 books)" or something similar, but it does not appear as if my Kindle folder (when the device is attached) has as many copies. I don't know how to delete duplicate books en masse from the device, or even how to find them at this point, nor do I know how to delete duplicates via Calibre. The plug-in did not seem to do the trick or register that there were multiples. I'm at a loss.

I'd appreciate any help with this!
melz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger can extract oil from cheeseratflinger can extract oil from cheeseratflinger can extract oil from cheeseratflinger can extract oil from cheeseratflinger can extract oil from cheeseratflinger can extract oil from cheeseratflinger can extract oil from cheeseratflinger can extract oil from cheeseratflinger can extract oil from cheese

Device: K3, Touch, Paperwhite 3G
Don't know if the Mac & PC versions are the same, but on my PC you can right click on a title in either the library or the device & one of the options is Delete. As long as the books were purchased through Amazon you can always get them back. I had some dups at first & became frustrated with Calibre, but then I pared my books down to a small level & played with Calibre until I became very comfortable with it (it didn't take long either). Then I went back to Amazon & re-downloaded everything & got it all in Calibre with no effort.
ratflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Zikka
Zikka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
From Calibre, go to the Kindle device (along the top icons) click once on any book, ctrl+a and then hit del. That should remove everything from your Kindle without destroying the basic file system on the device. Then you can select all the books in your Calibre library and "Send to Device". Once thats done, disconnect Kindle and wait for it to resynch everything. It'll automatically synch any and all books bought through Amazon, as well as the user guide junk and dictionaries etc from your Amazon account.

I had so many issues using Calibre with my KT at first, but I've mostly solved it by converting all my ebooks to .mobi and manually deleting all other formats from the individual metadata edit. As I add new books to my library it's pretty simple to convert to mobi and edit the metadata as I go.

Edited to add - From the Kindle section in Calibre, you can copy all the amazon content to your Calibre library for ease of organisation. You can also use the "On Device" sort column to see which files are ticked as being already on the Kindle, so you can select and "Send to Device" for the ones with no tick. Makes it so much easier to keep track of everything
Zikka is offline   Reply With Quote