Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
Getting ready to get a tablet!

Hi! I'm getting ready to get a Nook tablet (won a $200 gc to BN!) Just a few questions before I dive in.

I already have a Kindle and iPad, so basically this will be a backup or for travelling - I'll most likely just be using it for games and movies and the occasional email/internet (and I'm addicted to getting gadgets)

1) Do they have an appstore like iTunes? If so is it ok for a Mac? Is it easy to buy apps? And can/should I only get them through bn?

2) I heard you can load your own movies on to it, but what is the format? Most of my movies are .mp4 for the iPad - would I have to reconvert them?

3) Does it really matter if I get the 8gb or 16 gb? Or should i just get the color? I already have a 32gb card so I'll most likely put most of the stuff on that.

Anything helps! I don't know if I'm more excited about winning the GC or getting the Nook!!

Thanks so much!!

Kat
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
Root it then you can pretty much do whatever you want to it. After it is rooted it makes for a pretty nice, low cost tablet.

The B&N store is lacking a lot of books, or so my wife says.

The internal storage advertised is somewhat misleading, you only have access to 1GB for your own content. The rest is for B&N items you buy from their store. You can have them re-partition it, however, you still won't have access to all the advertised internal storage, you get 5GB. The work around for this is to use a microSD card which you already have.

It is sorta like buying a new car with having 8 cylinders but you can only access 2 of them.

Get the 16GB Tablet...
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD+; Kindle for Android on HTC One SV
I love my 16 GB Nook Tablet... but I don't have an iPad. Honestly, would you really use the Nook often enough to justify the purchase? I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I would install the Nook app on the iPad and use the gift card to buy ebooks.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
Tony1988
Evangelist
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I love my 16 GB Nook Tablet... but I don't have an iPad. Honestly, would you really use the Nook often enough to justify the purchase? I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I would install the Nook app on the iPad and use the gift card to buy ebooks.
Agreed.

Why dont you just buy some of the other merchandise BN has? They have some great knick knacks or as Kevin suggested just spend it on ebooks.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Agreed.

Why dont you just buy some of the other merchandise BN has? They have some great knick knacks or as Kevin suggested just spend it on ebooks.
My fiancee says the same thing. I thought about that, but the iPad I have is through work and I have to limit the stuff I put on it. I'm mainly worried that if I take the iPad with me on vacation and something happens the bosses won't be very happy.

I just figured if I get the NOOK, it'll be all mine!
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
luismonkey
Banned
luismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankgirl View Post
My fiancee says the same thing. I thought about that, but the iPad I have is through work and I have to limit the stuff I put on it. I'm mainly worried that if I take the iPad with me on vacation and something happens the bosses won't be very happy.

I just figured if I get the NOOK, it'll be all mine!
Based on that then, yes, get it so you have your own device.
luismonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
tarzanphan60
Enthusiast
tarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Nook Color, Tablet, HD, HD+
Definitely go with the 16 GB Tablet - much better than the 8 GM or the Nook Color and worth the extra money.
tarzanphan60 is offline   Reply With Quote