Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Little "n" Button Won't Work

I'm having a strange problem with my Nook. Without my touching the "n" button the menu at the bottom will flash on, then go away, then it will turn off. I can't turn it back on, but for some reason it will come on on it's own.

Also when it is on the book, the "n" button doesn't work. Meaning the menu that lets me go back to my library isn't there.

I already tried shutting it all the way off then back on. The power levels are fine at 73%. It's not rooted, all my books are on a SD card.

Anyone else had this and how you fixed it.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I spoke to BN and they tried to walk me though a factory rest, but I couldn't get it to work. So I'm going to have to send it back to someone in the US, they have to send to BN and then BN will send a new one to my aunt, then she will send it back to me. It's wonderfully complicated. Just because the stupid little "n" button won't work.

So much for the Nook being a better ereader, at least with the Kobo I could eventually get the stupid thing to work.

EDIT: I was finally able to do a factory reset but nothing happened.

Last edited by Bittybye; 05-12-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
That really sounds like a hardware issue to me. Make sure there are no cookie crumbs stuck under the button, but you're likely looking at an exchange.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Bittybye
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
That really sounds like a hardware issue to me. Make sure there are no cookie crumbs stuck under the button, but you're likely looking at an exchange.
Yea I thought that too and used canned air, but still nothing

What I don't understand is why this happened now. I've had it for a few weeks.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
You did not indicate what Nook you have. If it is a Nook Simple Touch, you might try a factory reset with re-register. This will start everything as when first purchased and you'll need to go through the registering process again. It's easy to do:

Start Nook, press n button, choose 'settings' then choose 'Device info' and then 'Erase & Deregister Device'

This may not solve your problem, but is worth a try before sending it back.

In my efforts to root the nook touch I went through this several times, until I finally got everything correct in the rooting.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
Bittybye
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
You did not indicate what Nook you have. If it is a Nook Simple Touch, you might try a factory reset with re-register. This will start everything as when first purchased and you'll need to go through the registering process again. It's easy to do:

Start Nook, press n button, choose 'settings' then choose 'Device info' and then 'Erase & Deregister Device'

This may not solve your problem, but is worth a try before sending it back.

In my efforts to root the nook touch I went through this several times, until I finally got everything correct in the rooting.
I have the simple touch.

Thanks for your suggestion but the problem is pressing the "n" button does nothing. I've done the soft reset and the factory reset and still nothing.

Last edited by Bittybye; 05-12-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
I had hoped that at least occasionally the n button would work, if not, then I suppose the only alternative is to exchange it.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote