Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Harper Collins doing some price experimenting????

I noticed in arcadata's wonderful May affiliate thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177087) that there are a bunch of HarperCollins mystery series backlists now with $3.99 prices, and even $1.99 for a few (mostly first-in-series) titles. See posts 3, 5, 9, 12, 13, 14, 21, 24, and 26 in that thread.

This is much closer to where I think backlist pricing should be, although $3.99 is still not cheap enough for me to replace DTBs I already own, unless from a particularly loved series. But $3.99 is definitely a price that I would buy backlist e-books at, in preference to buying used or checking out from the library, if I were to find a previously unknown (to me) series that I liked and didn't already own in DTB.

Still, I'm tempted to go ahead and buy a few in some one of the series I like (although none are ones I love), to encourage this sort of pricing on HC's part...we'll see how rich I feel tonight...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
They have been putting some of their backlist stuff on sale, moreso than any of the other big publishers certainly. It's been regular enough that I've been doing an advanced search for ebooks by HarperCollins on Amazon every week to scan for their sales. I found some Paulo Coelho ebooks for $0.99 last night that way and some Lawrence Block ebooks a few weeks back (still available at $3.99).

It's the first of the month and some of their stand alone titles are included in the 100 ebooks under $3.99 at Amazon and whatever the equivalent is at the other bookstores, so those are showing up right now as well.

ETA: HarperCollins is one of my favourites since they will sell their ebooks to libraries (Random House is the other one still selling to libraries), plus they don't jack up their prices by $2-5 because I'm in Canada and actually include Canadians in their sales (I'm looking at you Simon & Schuster and MacMillan).

Last edited by Synamon; 05-01-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I know they are doing some price experimentation with their Avon line and paying close attention to how sales were going at various price points. Wouldn't be surprised if they're doing the same thing under other lines.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Harper Collins also adjusts individual prices when something related to one of them happens. For example, ‘Bring Up the Bodies,’ a ‘Wolf Hall’ Sequel by Hilary Mantel was just released/reviewed in the NY Times. Wolf Hall price dropped to $4.99 (Kobo Canada). The rest of her books are waaaay more.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
I've noticed that for their YA series they've heavily discounted the first book when there's a sequel or new book coming out.

Right now Die For Me is at $1.99. A few weeks ago The Body Finder was at $2.99 and on the 15th they are releasing Starcrossed for $0.99.

Next week they are releasing Hereafter by Tara Hudson for $0.99.

For the summer they have 10 teen books priced at $2.99:
http://www.epicreads.com/page/edeals/

Last edited by andreabc; 07-25-2012 at 01:18 PM.
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert