Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
dbh2ppa
dbh2ppa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Embedded fonts on KF8 & Kindle Touch

How do you get Kindle Touch to show embedded fonts?

What I'm doing is making an EPUB file with the embedded fonts and running it through kindlegen V2.4, and it says it builds succesfully, version 8 (which I'm guessing means KF8), but once I sideload it into the kindle, no effect, default kindle fonts.

The font is a TTF, I'm creating the EPUB file with Sigil. Am I doing something wrong? How do you get the kindle to use the embedded fonts?
dbh2ppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh2ppa View Post
How do you get Kindle Touch to show embedded fonts?
AFAIK, KF8 support was only added in the latest firmware. Did you install the latest firmware?
If yes, there are many things that can go wrong with font embedding:
Do the correct fonts show up if you open your ePub with ADE and KindlePreviewer?
Did you check the validity of your ePub in Sigil by clicking the green checkmark and with ePubCheck?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In addition to what Doitsu said, I suggest trying the KF8 in Kindle for PC (of K4Mac). If the embedded fonts show up there, you at least know they are included. If they do not, and your K4PC is up to date, the KF8 ebook is likely not specifying the fonts correctly.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
dbh2ppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
AFAIK, KF8 support was only added in the latest firmware. Did you install the latest firmware?
If yes, there are many things that can go wrong with font embedding:
Do the correct fonts show up if you open your ePub with ADE and KindlePreviewer?
Did you check the validity of your ePub in Sigil by clicking the green checkmark and with ePubCheck?
I do have the latest firmware in the kindle touch.
The epub passes validation with ePubCheck, and displays the fonts correctly in Calibre's viewer.
The mobi file displays the fonts correctly on kindle previewer, but only when I put it on "kindle fire" mode (otherwise it defaults to the basic mobi version, because at the time only the fire had kf8 support, and the previewer hasn't been updated).
Could it be that kf8 support in kindle touch doesn't include embedded fonts?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
InsulinJunkie72
Enthusiast
InsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh2ppa View Post
Could it be that kf8 support in kindle touch doesn't include embedded fonts?
When reading the file on the Touch, you do need to go into the font/Aa menu and enable the "Use Publisher's Fonts" setting (paraphrasing from memory).

Embedded fonts work with my store-bought EPUBs that I converted with Kindle Previewer and use on my Touch (I've found trying to strip the generated MOBI often has a tendency to screw up the embedded fonts, though).
InsulinJunkie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
dbh2ppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsulinJunkie72 View Post
When reading the file on the Touch, you do need to go into the font/Aa menu and enable the "Use Publisher's Fonts" setting (paraphrasing from memory).

Embedded fonts work with my store-bought EPUBs that I converted with Kindle Previewer and use on my Touch (I've found trying to strip the generated MOBI often has a tendency to screw up the embedded fonts, though).
Oh... I had no idea you had to do that, had never seen the option. Problem solved Thank you!!

That brings, however, its own problem. The file has no styling whatsoever (other than the font-family for some small passages, but when I enable "publisher's fonts" all of the text changes from my default serif, to sans-serif. Not really problematic, only, very strange behavior.