Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-23-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
LaGringa
Enthusiast
LaGringa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Want author to display as FN LN

I've gotten some books from Amazon, and the author name always shows up in Calibre as LN, FN, with the author sort also being LN, FN. I want the author column to display FN LN, but sort on LN, FN. Books from other places don't seem to have this issue.

Is it my Calibre settings that is causing this or are Amazon books coded this way? I searched the forums a year or so ago and thought that I fixed the problem but now I'm beginning to think that I just wasn't getting any books from Amazon at the time and didn't realize the issue was still there.

Is there a setting that I can change to override Amazon's display author? I'm really getting tired of changing these manually. I'm sorry if this has been answered a million times, but I couldn't locate the answer I thought I found before.

Thank you!
LaGringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
In Preferences > Adding Books there is a tick box for "Swap author firstname and lastname" that you could use when you are adding Amazon books. If you are adding books from many sources interchangeably it's not much use, but if you add books in batches or mostly from Amazon it might save you the step of manually fixing the metadata.

ETA: This might not help solve your problem since author sort might end up set wrong, depends how you are using the metadata and what tweaks you've set up for the tag browser.

Last edited by Synamon; 04-23-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
The Quality Check plugin also has an option to swap Last name/First name, that you can use for books you've already imported.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
LaGringa
Enthusiast

Thank you, but I tried that and it had no effect. Author display is LN, FN and Author sort is LN, FN regardless of whether that box is ticked or not (on Amazon books).
Old 04-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #5
LaGringa
Enthusiast

I'll look into the Quality Check plug-in. I've only used the Collections plug-in as most of the other things are way over my head.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:24 AM   #6
LaGringa
Enthusiast

I feel so dumb when I think of the hours I've wasted fixing all these nit-picking things. This plug-in is fantastic. Thank you so much!

BTW, I absolutely love Calibre.

Last edited by LaGringa; 04-24-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I recommend spending some time reading the different plugin-threads. Plugins are a great part of calibre
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
LaGringa
Enthusiast

Thank you. I'll try taking a closer look. If they are all as easy as Quality Check, I'm on it!