Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
simonkbike
simonkbike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Newbie needing advice on News vv Book formats

Hi,
I'm a newbie Kindle4 owner with limited programming experience. I'd like to put some of my own documents into my kindle (Song lyrics for the chorus I just joined). I'm downloading my regular newspaper (Independent - UK) and really like the way Calibre sets out the contents page and provides the navigation links from the 5-way controller.
I can't find anything in this forum to allow me to use this News interface to display my own content. I'm kinda hoping I don't have to learn how to build it from scratch and that I can plug into something already existing?
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Cheers
Simon
Oh- and feel free to move this to a more suitable sub-forum if I'm in the wrong place.
simonkbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Ipod Touch 2G, iPod Touch 4G, iPad, Kobo
You can easily send your documents to your Kindle with Send To Kindle for PC: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000719931

Calibre is actually turning your news feed into an eBook. You can do the same with tools like Sigil, but it may be more work than it's worth
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 04-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
simonkbike
simonkbike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi Shack70,
Thanks for your reply, but I think you've mis-understood. I am working on converting my text to an ebook (see my other post for problems!) but that will just display as a standard ebook.
When I read my newspaper, the navigation is completely different from a book. The bottom of the screen shows prompts to use the 5-way navigation to skip between articles, and it's easy to move around the content, and pick articles in any order.
With a standard book, the interface works differently, as we're normally just reading chapters sequentially.
I'm hoping it's possible to import any text in to use the news navigation system but all I can find in the tutorials is about sourcing the RSS feeds from the web.
Any ideas?
S.
simonkbike is offline   Reply With Quote