Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
Nalapombu
Nalapombu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle FIRE
Problem with Caliber Reading My PDF Files...

Hey all,

I have been fooling around with PDF files over the last week and nothing much has been going on. Lately I have been going through my PDF books and see how the title pages, covers and such were all screwed up and I wanted to fix them. I knew it couldn't be that hard. I done a few searches and found a PDF editing program. I installed it, played around with it and it was doing everything I wanted it to, great program so far.

I used this program to edit a pdf before loading it into Calibre. I wanted to see what it would look like once it was loaded so I loaded into Calibre. So far so good. To see if all the changes that I made took hold I clicked the vIEW button to see the Pdf. Well instead of the standard PDF reading program to open up and start letting me read it, the program that I just d-loaded and used to change the pdf was opening for me to use it instead of the default PDF reader that was present with Calibre. I want that reader BACK.

Can someone tell me how to go back and get my default PDF reader that I used with Calibre up until yesterday after I installed the PDF editor program?

HELP PLEASE....

Thanks
Nalapombu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, iPad 3, iPad Air
At a guess your PDF editing program has "taken over" as the default PDF application for your operating system. You don't say what OS you are using (Windows x, Linux, or MacOS). But basically you need to restore the file association back to the original PDF viewer you were using (be it Adobe or Foxit or whatever PDF viewer was your preference).

If you want to keep the file association to your editor but use a different application to view in calibre then you could use the Open With plugin. But I suspect your solution you really want is to get the pdf viewer as the default application regardless of whether you are in calibre or not. And the instructions for that as I say differ depending on your OS.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre does not have a PDF reader - ony a Calibre EPUB viewer!

In the a calibre preferences you can tell Calibre to use either it's internal viewer or the system viewer for each file type. If you tell calibre to use it's own viewer then any book not already in ePub format is internally converted to ePub before viewing. As conversions from PDF tend to to work well the default setting in calibre is to use the system PDF viewer for PDF files.

My guess is that calibre is set to use the system PDF viewer and installing the PDF software changed the system level settings for PDF viewing. Therefore to get back the old behaviour you need to reset your settings for the system PDF viewer (which were probably set to something like Acrobat Reader).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote