Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
DocBurN
DocBurN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Register your jailbroken kindle

Hi guys,

First of all thank you very much for all the info found here.. i have learned a lot since yesterday (Bought a Paperwhite) and off course, would appreciate enlightenment from the more experienced PW users.

What i did:

FM == 5.3.1
Never connected to wifi
jailbreak == success

My goal:

I would like to remove the message from my PW home "Register your Kindle to buy books from the Kindle Store. Register Now"

What i would like to understand:

1) Am i forced to connect to a wifi and "register my Kindle" even tho i want to keep it jailbroken (already is) to make the message from my "home" go away ? [and fit more than 3 book covers from the "home"

2) What would happen if , once jailbroken, you go and "register" online ? Is it all good as long as you don't apply a new update ? (i sure hope this is a manual update.. not a forced-automatic one once you connect to a wifi)

Being new to this.. any info and inputs are more than welcome

Thank you very much

DocBurN
DocBurN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
1) yes. AFAIK

2) yes.

I don't have a paperwhite but in answer to your points generally Amazon have only released one "complete" (which is arguably very useful for support) update.

scratch that... I just went and checked... they are full updates - (thanks harry.)

There are a few threads containing details of holding back the tide and personal privacy, but in the main Amazon have played nice.

EDIT: Ixtab provides some method of carrying across the jailbreak evidently. For full updates

Hope that helps (THANKS HARRY)

Last edited by twobob; 12-30-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Harry
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
5.3.1 is the current PW firmware. Nothing will be updated after you register.

PW firmware updates have, thus far, been complete system images, so will wipe out jailbreaks, hacks, etc, when installed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
5.3.1 is the current PW firmware. Nothing will be updated after you register.

PW firmware updates have, thus far, been complete system images, so will wipe out jailbreaks, hacks, etc, when installed.
The JB for 5.3.0 and 5.3.1 is designed to survive PW (full) firmware updates.
Which is part of the reason it took ixtab a month to devise it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Thanks for the clarification.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PS: How did you avoid the "auto registration" on your 5.3.1 firmware?

EDIT:

Sorry, just re-read your post - - you haven't stumbled into that one (yet).

On 5.3.1, the firmware will not complete the **first** connection process until it can "auto register" your Kindle.

See my "Exploring a new Kpw" thread.

Last edited by knc1; 12-30-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@DocBurN: the jailbreak is "orthogonal" to device registration, i.e. it works whether the device is registered or not. It *should* even survive OTA firmware updates, but we can only tell for sure once new updates come out. (and BTW, that jailbreak bridge was NiLuJe's work, not mine).

If you want to keep your device unregistered, you can use list view for the home screen (I personally don't understand all the fuss about cover views anyway, so the first thing I do is switch back to list mode, but yeah - personal preference).

Another option is to turn on the network once and register, then put the device back into airplane mode and keep it offline. That's what I usually do.

@knc1: You can bypass the automatic registration on "first boot", but Amazon made that really difficult. IIRC, you can pretend that you want to register, then select no Wifi network at all, and then you'll find a button "register later". Or some similar procedure (that was from memory).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@knc1: You can bypass the automatic registration on "first boot", but Amazon made that really difficult. IIRC, you can pretend that you want to register, then select no Wifi network at all, and then you'll find a button "register later". Or some similar procedure (that was from memory).
On "first connect" is even more difficult to avoid.
In fact, two hours of work by twobob and myself failed to find a way to avoid it.

Which raises an interesting question:
The device informs a person that they agree to the Amazon terms of service if they register the device or access the kindle's account.
Which seems impossible to avoid - it registers itself.

I guess you would have to keep it in airplane mode - JB it - mess with the firmware to defeat the "auto-registration" and then first use its wireless.

Amazon is becoming very difficult to "live with".

Last edited by knc1; 12-30-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
DocBurN

First of all, thank you for your input..

so basically.. every Kindle owner had to registered their Kindle to unlock some features (like Create Collection i think).. i just registered mine a switched to Air plane mode.

Now the "please register" is replaced by an Editor's Picks message.. the looks of the covers appeal to me.. but if there is no way to hide the Editor's Picks.. im will be forced to go "List View"
Old 12-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBurN View Post

so basically.. every Kindle owner had to registered their Kindle to unlock some features (like Create Collection i think).. i just registered mine a switched to Air plane mode.

Now the "please register" is replaced by an Editor's Picks message.. the looks of the covers appeal to me.. but if there is no way to hide the Editor's Picks.. im will be forced to go "List View"
You can turn off the display of recommended content:

Menu > device options> personalize your kindle> recommended content to "off"
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBurN View Post

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200475
Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
DocBurN

Thank you everybody..

its pretty much where is wanted it so far..

JB + custom screensavers - the "register" message or the editor's picks message are gone == 6 books covers on the front "home".

and the funny thing is.. i paid for an ADs pw and i have never seen any ads yet.. i guess i was not online long enough to get spammed. if it ever reappear .. i'll just pay 20$ but so far.. im ads-free somehow
Old 08-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
Trungdle
Trungdle began at the beginning.

I have been lucky and found a network that require you to sign in. The prompt will ask you if you want to get to the site and sign in first. There you can easily get out by pressing the home button on the top left corner.
Registered just to say that.
Trungdle is offline   Reply With Quote