Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
aivarannamaa
aivarannamaa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
How to set preferred format for viewing a book?

Hi!

For many books I have several formats (eg. MOBI and PDF) per title in my library. On PC I prefer to read in PDF so I would like to open PDF when double-clicking the title. Unfortunately Calibre opens MOBI. Doesn't matter if I unselect mobi in the internal reader formats list -- then it just opens it in Kindle for PC.

How can I tell Calibre that I prefer PDF?

Last edited by aivarannamaa; 12-27-2013 at 05:50 PM.
aivarannamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think it opens the first one it finds, it used to annoy me too

I learned to live with it by mapping the 'V' key to the View Specific Format option (which presents a list of available formats from which you can choose), not sure if you can do same for double-click

I tried using the Open With PI, but IMO that's a lot slower than pressing a 'V' and a 'P'

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by aivarannamaa View Post
Hi!

For many books I have several formats (eg. MOBI and PDF) per title in my library. On PC I prefer to read in PDF so I would like to open PDF when double-clicking the title. Unfortunately Calibre opens MOBI. Doesn't matter if I unselect mobi in the internal reader formats list -- then it just opens it in Kindle for PC.

How can I tell Calibre that I prefer PDF?
Preferences: Behavior: Te second column.

Change the Order for priority.
Remove ticks for 'Use External viewer' (your OS must handle)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

How do I change the order of the 2nd column?

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	117274  
Old 12-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
aivarannamaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Remove ticks for 'Use External viewer' (your OS must handle)
Damn it, I was looking at that ordering on the left side of that preference page and thought that "Preferred input format order" can't mean what I was looking for. Turns out it does

Anyway, thank you for the answer!

(If a Calibre developer sees this, then I would suggest rewording that label there.)

Last edited by aivarannamaa; 12-27-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
aivarannamaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
How do I change the order of the 2nd column?

BR
I think he meant you should uncheck items in 2nd column and change the order in 1st column.

A.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Boy-o-boy do I mess up

Input order is the choice for conversions.

Preferred OUTPUT only has 1 choice; If you convert, the default is this.

Use the Internal viewer for: (is always EPUB no matter what source format)

Remove the tick for a NATIVE (user installed) viewer to be used
Old 12-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Damn it, I was looking at that ordering on the left side of that preference page and thought that "Preferred input format order" can't mean what I was looking for. Turns out it does

Anyway, thank you for the answer!

(If a Calibre developer sees this, then I would suggest rewording that label there.)
The label is correct - it is the preferred order of formats used as input to conversions, the fact that it also influences the behaviour of View is almost coincidental.

After doing a conversion what I want to do is look the result i.e the output, not at the input. For me putting the Preferred Output format at the top of a list of Preferred Input formats to make that happen doesn't make sense.

Maybe it makes sense if most books have specific conversion settings, but I suspect most users have a set of default preferences that they use on most conversions. Or it might make sense if one did a lot of EPUB to EPUB conversions - but I would have thought the availability of Modify/Polish/Tweak and Edit has rendered those sort of conversions largely redundant.

What's needed is an optional Preferred Viewer Format that if set trumps whatever is in the Preferred Input Order list - assuming the format is available, .

Quote:
I think he meant you should uncheck items in 2nd column and change the order in 1st column.
I flunked Psych 101

@theducks I know you believe I should understand what you think you wrote, but I am not sure that you realize that what you write is sometimes not what you think, nor perhaps that I'm not a mind reader. Besides you quite often you write the right things, and my planning assumption is that you may see wood, where all I see is bushes

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-27-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
theducks
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

@theducks I know you believe I should understand what you think you wrote, but I am not sure that you realize that what you write is sometimes not what you mean, nor perhaps that I'm not a mind reader. Besides you quite often you write the right things, and my planning assumption is that you may see wood, where all I see is bushes

BR
I tend to see more dead leaves than wood or bushes

BTW what I write is not always what I thought I wrote