Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #16
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Never heard of The Rook.

As for the other two, they turn around your expectations of the epic fantasy genre, although Rothfuss is arguably more overt at it. Had difficulties reading The Knight because it was written in an archaic style (that's Wolfe's intent for this novel... his other fiction isn't written like that).
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #17
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad, iPod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipreads View Post
Never heard of The Rook.

As for the other two, they turn around your expectations of the epic fantasy genre, although Rothfuss is arguably more overt at it. Had difficulties reading The Knight because it was written in an archaic style (that's Wolfe's intent for this novel... his other fiction isn't written like that).
The Rook is pretty new, it came out in January and it's a debut novel. It's not epic fantasy, but I included it because it's a sci-fi/fantasy/paranormal type of thing and it looked interesting. It's about a woman who wakes up with amnesia, surrounded by bodies wearing latex gloves, and there's a letter to her written by herself in the past telling her there are people trying to kill her, and what steps she needs to take to survive. It's like The Bourne Identity meets Memento (she keeps encountering notes written to herself from the past), and soon she discovers she has superpowers and is a high-ranking official in a secret British paranormal government agency.

So yeah, that grabbed me right from the start and I can't stop reading.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:25 AM   #18
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
The Name of the Wind is very well written but the protagonist is far too perfect for my tastes. everyone likes him, he's immediately good at everything he tries, etc. he goes from being a great character to a grade-a smartass. the 1st half is fantastic but the 2nd half was a real eye-roller.

i'd recommend The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks-

"For Durzo Blint, assassination is an art-and he is the city's most accomplished artist.

For Azoth, survival is precarious. Something you never take for granted. As a guild rat, he's grown up in the slums, and learned to judge people quickly - and to take risks. Risks like apprenticing himself to Durzo Blint.

But to be accepted, Azoth must turn his back on his old life and embrace a new identity and name. As Kylar Stern, he must learn to navigate the assassins' world of dangerous politics and strange magics - and cultivate a flair for death."
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
The Name of the Wind is very well written but the protagonist is far too perfect for my tastes. everyone likes him, he's immediately good at everything he tries, etc. he goes from being a great character to a grade-a smartass.
Keep an eye on the unreliable narrator thread. I fully expect you'll see Kvothe's name there in years to come. His first-person narratives are clearly presenting the reader with exaggerated interpretations (or even downright lies) of the events of his past.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #20
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I found the start of Name of the Wind pretty weak - the stuff in the inn before it goes into the first-person history - so it might not come over well from a free sample.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #21
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Ipod Touch 2G, iPod Touch 4G, iPad, Kobo
I just started Name of the Wind and I'm up to chapter 9. so far it's kind of boring, but I can see it picking up soon. I hope this isn't one of those books you get 500 pages into and then something happens...
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 1, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Oh I also read the first couple pages of Legend, but there were so many alien-looking words and names that it kinda turned me off and I couldn't concentrate on the story. I might need to be in a different mood to read it.
You really cannot judge a book based a few pages. Besides, a lot of fantasy books have strange character/place names. Trust me, Legend is worth reading. Just try it up to chapter 2 and see what you think.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
The Rook is pretty new, it came out in January and it's a debut novel. It's not epic fantasy, but I included it because it's a sci-fi/fantasy/paranormal type of thing and it looked interesting. It's about a woman who wakes up with amnesia, surrounded by bodies wearing latex gloves, and there's a letter to her written by herself in the past telling her there are people trying to kill her, and what steps she needs to take to survive. It's like The Bourne Identity meets Memento (she keeps encountering notes written to herself from the past), and soon she discovers she has superpowers and is a high-ranking official in a secret British paranormal government agency.

So yeah, that grabbed me right from the start and I can't stop reading.
Sound like part of Men in Black II and Total Recall. Basically that "I can't remember who I am, but I've left enough clues lying around to help me figure out who I am" plot has been done to death.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I found the start of Name of the Wind pretty weak - the stuff in the inn before it goes into the first-person history - so it might not come over well from a free sample.
I've read it. It doesn't go over well from the entire book.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #25
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You really cannot judge a book based a few pages. Besides, a lot of fantasy books have strange character/place names. Trust me, Legend is worth reading. Just try it up to chapter 2 and see what you think.
Oh I'm sure it's good, I just wasn't in the right mood to read it. When I tried to read the first few paragraphs everything became a jumble of odd words and I couldn't concentrate because of it.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #26
tecweston
Comic book artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sound like part of Men in Black II and Total Recall. Basically that "I can't remember who I am, but I've left enough clues lying around to help me figure out who I am" plot has been done to death.
Well, having seen both those movies, it doesn't feel like either one of them. My "Bourne Identity" meets "Memento" comparison was based on the first few chapters, but after she starts actually going to work in the paranormal government agency without any idea what her job is, and trying to fake it, it takes on a different feel. I've read some reviews that say it has much more in common with "X-Men," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Harry Potter," and "Ghostbusters," and that feels about right.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #27
Teknikal
Evangelist
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Nexus-7, LG G3
I really enjoyed the name of the wind I also liked the sequel as well and the third is probably my most anticipated book. I'm pretty limited with that kind of genre the only ones I've read are probably inheritance, Codex Alera and I had a go at a song of ice and fire but just couldn't get into clash of kings.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #28
Spock96
Book Geek.
Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
I just finished The Lamb among the Stars Series (Christian Science Fiction). I very much enjoyed it.

Now, I'm moving onto EON and the squeal EONA by Allison Goodman.
Spock96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #29
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
I second that suggestion and also recommend every other book by Gemmell. Straightforward, no-nonsense heroic fantasy. Easy reads, memorable characters, good stories and good story telling.

I've read most or all his books twice, Legend three times.
I was falling asleep constantly while reading it. Yes, its fantasy, yes its heroic. I just could not care. So predictable.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #30
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Is it too late to post? . Another consideration not on your list is Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion series. Curse of the Chalion and its sequel, Paladin of Souls, are both excellent. Paladin won the Hugo, Locus, and Nebula best Novel awards and Curse was nominated for the Hugo and Locus. They aren't realy dark like Martin's series but there is a good pantheon and interesting world depth and characters.

If you want quirky non-standard for the genre, check out Sheri S. Tepper. Though she may technically be SF... her books are more about worlds and characters and humanity itself than technology, which appeals to my inner anthropologist.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote