Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
agua102
agua102 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteragua102 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteragua102 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteragua102 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteragua102 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteragua102 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteragua102 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteragua102 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteragua102 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteragua102 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteragua102 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: N800
Read it Later, Readability, Send to Kindle,... in M92

Is there a chance to get a any service to get webpage from the M92?.
I m new with M92, and i dont know if i can use another apps , or how to install it.
Thank you very much.
agua102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
referer
referer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Bump.

Wondering about same thing. I don't think that automatic transfer is as much trouble as getting just content text from webpage (e.g. recognizing junk,...)

Images are problem - however even mentioned services have trouble with proper handling them, so proper images distribution is probably not going to happen. I don't think that's too much of trouble - if image is really relevant and probably colored, 16:1 contrast wont do the trick. We can live without illustrational images though

I got mine M92 few days ago and this is no. 1 thing to figure out (after uploading standard scientific content )

However solution will be 'kinda dirty'. All current services handle transfer part by just sending mail with content to users kindle e-mail address. Onyx doesn't have this service so I'm thinking about some standalone python script with browser integation (probably with bookmarklet for compatibility).

Anyway, if anyone know some easy way to extract relevant content information from webage, let me know. I would do the rest (probably )

Last edited by referer; 07-03-2012 at 10:40 AM.
referer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Buecherwurm92
Buecherwurm92 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Calibre can fetch articles from a reading list (Instapaper, Pocket, maybe others) and make an epub from them. Readability also has its own Web-based service (http://readlists.com/) for making e-books, but I didn't try it yet. The problem remaining to be solved is automatic transfer to the reader.
Buecherwurm92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Automatic transfer can only be achieved if the target device runs a server of sorts, accepting incoming connections - such as ssh, nfs or ftp. Having this, one can create a simple upload script/browser plugin to be used on pc for transfering content to the reader. The problem is (AFAIK) that no such server software exists for Boox - there is an FTP server app, but it has to be run as a user space application, not as a deamon in the background.

Last edited by janek; 07-09-2012 at 03:37 AM.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
rfog
Evangelist
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB903, K2, K3, K2i, KDX, iPad, Q1U, X51v, TM2
There are a lot of options to do a thing like this.

A mail client can be implement, but only to get pending ebooks via one trigger: on power on and manually. Once launched the program, it will get new emails for one account made only for that purpose, discard the message and save the book. Even can obtain destination path in message body.

A ftp/rsync client that will automatically take books present in a remote folder (for example our PC). You put your books to be sent in a PC/MAC folder, activate FTP server and then go to ebook reader and launch ftp, that will use one script to automatically take the ebooks and then close.

Use Cloud API (for example Dropbox one) to search for a custom folder in the cloud and download new ebooks present in that folder.

This can be combined with a "full sync" and have a folder in PC/Cloud that duplicate the internal/SD ebook disks and a program could be launched by demand to have it synced.

It is the same I have now between my iMAC and the i62 microSD. Y modify/add/remove ebooks in my local Mac folder. Once I want, I take microSD from i62, put into iMAC SD slot and then sync with FolderSynchronizer (The program I have). This way I avoid to connect i62 to MAC for seconds and avoid micro battery charges.

I think the best option is the special email program, that will act like Amazon stuff: Yo send an ebook to one personal email (maintained by Amazon) and on switching on from standby or manually sync you get your new ebooks wirelessly.

However, it remains a very important thing: the will to do it. And the neglect that exists in Linux systems, with all things half done and not finished. And before anyone asks why I do not do it, I will say that I am not a linux programmer and every time I face some program on that system I always ended disgusted by everything that is half done and the complexity artificially imposed to anything that smells of *nix.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Buecherwurm92

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek View Post
Automatic transfer can only be achieved if the target device runs a server of sorts, accepting incoming connections - such as ssh, nfs or ftp. Having this, one can create a simple upload script/browser plugin to be used on pc for transfering content to the reader. The problem is (AFAIK) that no such server software exists for Boox - there is an FTP server app, but it has to be run as a user space application, not as a deamon in the background.
I don't see the need for any server on the reader. A client connecting to a server elsewhere would be sufficient. Still that client needs to be written, or perhaps ported if something suitable can be found elsewhere.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buecherwurm92 View Post
I don't see the need for any server on the reader. A client connecting to a server elsewhere would be sufficient. Still that client needs to be written, or perhaps ported if something suitable can be found elsewhere.
Well, I understand "automatic" as a situation where a file is transmitted from user's PC without the need to undertake any actions on Boox (other than opening the file). In such case you only need to upload your content to device (which is one user operation - or one click if you will) - as simple as printing.

Now if you begin on the Boox side, you need at least two operations - first copy your file to the server, second activate client on Boox. From usability perspective, I can't see any difference between that and using existing ftp server - all you have to do now is to start the server and copy the file (a small script can facilitate this)

Of course you may want your Boox-side client to run as a deamon and check the server periodically for new content (rss-style). Still in this there's little difference in usability compared to the first scenario (for user that is, technically these are two different things).

Old 07-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
rfog
Evangelist
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, I understand "automatic" as a situation where a file is transmitted from user's PC without the need to undertake any actions on Boox (other than opening the file). In such case you only need to upload your content to device (which is one user operation - or one click if you will) - as simple as printing.

Now if you begin on the Boox side, you need at least two operations - first copy your file to the server, second activate client on Boox. From usability perspective, I can't see any difference between that and using existing ftp server - all you have to do now is to start the server and copy the file (a small script can facilitate this)

Of course you may want your Boox-side client to run as a deamon and check the server periodically for new content (rss-style). Still in this there's little difference in usability compared to the first scenario (for user that is, technically these are two different things).

Right click in your computer on file and select "send via email" (or send it via Calibre). Select personal ebook reader email and send it. On Boox, select "Special Email Program" and it's done. Or cycle Boox standby power. No more steps than in a Kindle.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
janek
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Right click in your computer on file and select "send via email" (or send it via Calibre). Select personal ebook reader email and send it. On Boox, select "Special Email Program" and it's done. Or cycle Boox standby power. No more steps than in a Kindle.
Yeah, that's two clicks.
If you have a file server running on Boox, you only need one: Right click in your computer and select "send via ftp/ssh/nfs to Boox".
Old 07-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #10
Buecherwurm92

Quote:
Well, I understand "automatic" as a situation where a file is transmitted from user's PC without the need to undertake any actions on Boox (other than opening the file).
Indeed, it all depends on what the main goal is. If you want a one-click operation, then you need a server on the reader. My goal is a bit different: I want to be able to "send" an e-book to the reader without having the reader next to my computer. The typical situation is that I am at work, my reader is at home, and I want to put a PDF file aside for reading on the reader later. For me, the ideal solution would thus be a Dropbox client for the Boox.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:49 AM   #11
rfog
Evangelist

Hi guys, I will try an experiment soon. I will try to do an email client (an oar file) valid only to get ebooks and put into file system. Ala Kindle (that, hyphenation apart, is the only thing I miss from Kindle).

I will start a thread here when I polish the idea.