Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
Marc66
Marc66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Question regarding Library AuraHD

Hello everyone,

I have about a 100 ebooks in my library.
How many books do you you keep on your reader?
Once your book is finished do you remove from ereader or leave it on? Pros and cons of keeping it?

Thank you,
Marc
Marc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
It's pretty much the same for every reader, and that's mostly up to the user's choice. For myself (Glo) I only keep between 400-500 books on my readers, and I delete books once I've read them. I've noticed some slowdown after adding a certain number of books on some readers (well over 1000 books though). And I prefer to keep all my books in one location on my PC in Calibre. For me that works out perfect, even if I go away for a few weeks, there's plenty to read.

Some people like to keep their entire library on their reader, 1000s of books, and don't delete books that have been read. Some like to fill up only the reader and not use an SD card, some like to fill up just the SD card, some like to fill up both.

It's your choice for how you read and what you want to do with the books.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 12-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
2 of my readers have every book in my ebook library a little over 2000 public domain and kobo books. My Kobo Mini has only 100 books to keep it light and portable. Some members here have over 4000 books on their Kobo. Epubs are usualy small files. However Illistrated Works of Hubert Howe Bancroft, Volume IV, is 22.5 MB and his complete works is over 60 MB epub with lots of drawings that increases file size.

I use ereader loaded with all of my books to backup library to another computer with Calibre.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Glo, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc66 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have about a 100 ebooks in my library.
How many books do you you keep on your reader?
Once your book is finished do you remove from ereader or leave it on? Pros and cons of keeping it?

Thank you,
Marc
The number of books depends on the individual. Since I have a nasty habit of checking earlier books in a series when I think I've seen a continuity error, I keep most of my ebooks on my ereader. When I finish them, I just leave them on the ereader (actually, on the removable uSD card since that's my preferred spot to store them). I also have a fair sized collection of technical reference ebooks which may not be used for months so again just leave them there. With ~2400 ebooks, the only issue I've run into is when I do a factory reset and it takes quite a few hours to import the ebooks and metadata into the the database. That's the only issue I've been able to blame on having that many epubs on my ereader.

I also keep a couple of copies of my complete Calibre library on flash drives and in the cloud. You can never have too many backups.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD
My practice is that I put my books onto my Glo and leave them there. Every now and then I do a factory reset. When that happens, I only put books that I have not read or not finished onto the device. Plus a few others. I usually put all books in a series I am reading on the Glo.

Writing the above highlights a change a change in my reading habits since I got my ereaders. Previously, I usually only read one book a time, and rarely had more than two going. If I had two, it would be one in my bag for reading on the train, and one around the house. And it was very rare for me to not finish a book.

Now, I have several books on the go at a time. Occasionally, I look at the book I am reading on the train and think, "I don't feel like that" and find something else. It can be a long time before I go back.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:49 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, iPod Shuffle 4g
I keep all my books on my Glo, close to 700 now, to me this is one of the main benefits of an ereader. I only delete a few books that I am certain I'll never want to read or refer to again.

Whenever possible I replace the cover and maps/diagrams with better quality / higher resolution ones, so a lot of my books are bigger than the originals. I have replaced my Glo's original 2GB internal SD card with an 8GB one, so space is not an issue yet.

I built up my library gradually, and I spend a fair bit of time researching which books I want to read and shopping around for the best prices, so I have a good idea of what books are on my Glo. That means I don't need to use collections or browse through the whole library, I can just search by author or series and find the books I want fairly quickly.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:19 AM   #7
anacreon
Addict
anacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: sony prs-t2, kobo glo HD + aura h2o
I have today (it changes all the time) 1875 "books" and 15 dictionaries on my kobos, for 1.72 Go, of which a fairly extensive reference library, which I dip into occasionally. I have complete works (kudos to Pynch's work in 3 languages), a lot of poetry, noir, science-fiction, children and YA, a lot of other fiction (novels and short stories), a lot of biographies, diaries, letters collections, various non-fiction. Only 134 of them I already read on a reader (plus 374 I read on paper only until now). I keep read books as comfort fare when really tired or in a hostile environment (like waiting rooms with a TV on), or as reference, or because a part of an on-going series.

I have virtual libraries on Calibre, and one is for archived books (not on the reader), some 3800, of which 740 I read on a reader or on paper.

Like davidfor, I read many more simultaneously than I did on paper. On paper, I did have a number read simultaneously, but that was usually in different genres and languages. Now that I have many more books than I will ever be able to read I dip into many new books, some that I like even quite far into it, but am often tempted away by new fare. But then, when I tire of what I have on hand, I find them again and read it to the end, though if too much time has passed, I must start at the beginning again. Those I feel I won't feel like reading in a foreseeable future I archive, those I dislike I mostly dump after a few pages - difficult if I paid for it.

@dnsb: I don't trust the cloud, but one of my brothers and I use each other as remote saving sites - he's a professional photographer, so this is more important for him than for me, but I feel more secure this way.

Last edited by anacreon; 12-07-2014 at 06:28 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura,KGlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
2 of my readers have every book in my ebook library a little over 2000 public domain and kobo books. My Kobo Mini has only 100 books to keep it light and portable.
It gets very heavy if you fill it right up. All those electrons.

I keep not very many ... hm, maybe about 80-100? on my Aura.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I usually leave books on my Kindle until I start running out of space, then I purge it of anything I don't expect to read anywhere near soon. I keep a long list of favorites though, as well as my entire TBR. There isn't any real benefit in removing books that aren't going to be replaced, as the only real slowdown is during a global search which I don't do very often.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
bookaho!ic
Addict
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Just put my entire collection 2035 books on my new aura and it took way over 4 hours for it to process them all
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
Just put my entire collection 2035 books on my new aura and it took way over 4 hours for it to process them all
I believe you can skip processing by sending the books with calibre, and calibre will write to the Kobo database itself using its own internal data instead of requiring the Kobo to analyze it.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I believe you can skip processing by sending the books with calibre, and calibre will write to the Kobo database itself using its own internal data instead of requiring the Kobo to analyze it.
It doesn't work like that. You send new books to the Kobo with Calibre and they do get processed. When I copied over all of the eBooks I had on my T1 (via Calibre), they had to be processed once I ejected the Kobo from the computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Glo, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Davidfor's Kobo Utilities plugin can do some writing to the database directly but it needs the books processed by the Kobo ereader first to generate the database entries to be modified.

Last time I did a factory reset, it took about 5 hours to have all the books processed back into the database. My preference is to start the processing in the evening and leave the ereader plugged into a power source overnight so it's ready to go in the morning.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Oh.

All I know is the Kindle shows books instantly, but if you want to do a search the book needs to be processed, which takes a lot longer.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD
Quote:
Oh.

All I know is the Kindle shows books instantly, but if you want to do a search the book needs to be processed, which takes a lot longer.
I have played with having the driver add the database rows for the books, but there are lot to add. For an epub, it is one for the book, and two for each ToC entry. A kepub is a little more complicated as there are two for each ToC entry, but if there isn't a one-one relationship between the ToC and the spine, it's a little more complicated. And I haven't had a good look at the other formats. And as I said, I've played with it and it has just led to grief (swearing, late nights, hair pulling, corrupted databases, swearing).
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote