Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
frogi
Enthusiastic Apathy
frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony T1, NSTx2
Would still be Amazon's black eye. Same way with satellite TV. They've blanked out channels and whined about the channel provider being unfair on their contract. Don't care. Get the channel back on or I go to cable.

When a company boo-hoos over losing potential millions in profit, I don't shed a tear for them. Man up.
frogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #17
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle GDX, Kindle 3, KPW, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I hope not. I hope that someone does put a cork on Amazon. While it would suck that the BPH could get their books pulled...it's ridiculous that Amazon is acting in this manner.
Acting in what manner? So far we've only heard the Big 6 side and *I* don't trust anything that comes from that arena.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 04-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #18
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Acting in what manner? So far we've only heard the Big 6 side and *I* don't trust anything that comes from that arena.
The manner of "agree to my demands or get your books pulled." That's not going into contract negations with an open mind. That is threatening your vendor. Sounds a lot like how the mob ran their protection scheme, too...
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #19
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505, Nook Color(CM7), iPad3
Quote:
The manner of "agree to my demands or get your books pulled." That's not going into contract negations with an open mind. That is threatening your vendor. Sounds a lot like how the mob ran their protection scheme, too...
While the BPH manner is "agree to our demands or we will pull our books"
That's contract negotiation.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #20
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle GDX, Kindle 3, KPW, Nook HD+
Quote:
Sorry. Can't generate enough Amazon hate.

Until I hear something besides the publishers side, I'll withhold judgment.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #21
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3
I'm withholding judgment, too. Yes, I believe the negotiation started with BOTH sides saying "meet my demands or the books are gone". Or that's how I imagine it. It sounds about right. Isn't that how most negotiations start, extreme demands then a meeting in the middle.
All disagreements have the two opponents sides, and a truth somewhere in the middle.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #22
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T3, Kindle 3, iPad2, Nexus7v2
They all pulled their books at the same time?

That does sound like collusion.

They may be as bad as each other but this is a classic example of going off in a sulk with ones bat and ball...
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #23
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook STR, iPod Touch 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
They all pulled their books at the same time?

That does sound like collusion.
Yes, multiple parties not signing unfavorable contract extensions while elements of said contracts are under DOJ investigation, that sure sounds collusion to me...
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #24
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Currently, Amazon is splitting revenues 30/70 with any Joe Shmoe, so are the Big 6 and IPG getting a worse deal than any guy off the street? Is 70% not enough for the Big 6 and IPG? Don't they give 50% to small retailers who sell physical books?

I'm not so sure I'm ready to jump on the Amazon Evil bandwagon. Plus the source of this article is from Salon, who has a habit of writing nasty articles about Amazon.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #25
TimW
Guru
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KFHD8.9, KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Currently, Amazon is splitting revenues 30/70 with any Joe Shmoe, so are the Big 6 and IPG getting a worse deal than any guy off the street? Is 70% not enough for the Big 6 and IPG? Don't they give 50% to small retailers who sell physical books?

I'm not so sure I'm ready to jump on the Amazon Evil bandwagon. Plus the source of this article is from Salon, who has a habit of writing nasty articles about Amazon.
Yes, indeed, Salon is the sole source of the rumor. The bombshell about all of the big 6 refusing to sign annual contracts with Amazon comes right in the middle of an article about Amazon giving grants to book festivals. Odd? The author's "sekrut" industry mole was the source of the info. A writer from PaidContent looked into the story as well:
Quote:
Zaitchik told me a “source within the publishing journalism industry” and a contact at a major New York publishing house alerted him to the dispute.

People familiar with the situation confirmed to me that at least two big-six houses have refused to sign new annual contracts — but I have not yet been able to confirm that all six did so. Amazon is still fulfilling customer orders, these sources said, but is not promoting big-six houses’ books on the site or in marketing materials in ways it once did.
So, the PC writer's "people" say two won't sign...maybe more? Is there a story here? If so, what's the WHOLE story? Hard to say. We may never know.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #26
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Searching ...
Quote:
People familiar with the situation confirmed to me that at least two big-six houses have refused to sign new annual contracts — but I have not yet been able to confirm that all six did so. Amazon is still fulfilling customer orders, these sources said, but is not promoting big-six houses’ books on the site or in marketing materials in ways it once did.
I just noticed that. Amazon's Kindle ebooks page doesn't have any Big 6 publishers featured. You have to search a bit for the latest Grisham.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
"Like sands through the hourglass..."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #28
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - 3G, Fire HD2, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #29
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Bwahahaha!!! Awesome.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 AM   #30
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
Amazon can post a message laying the blame squarely on the big 6's shoulders in shining, blinking letters on the top of every single page of their website. That isn't going to stop a customer from looking elsewhere to get the books they want. Do you honestly think that customers will just say, "Screw those greedy publishers, I'm never buying a big 6 book again!" Really? And for how long. A day? A week? Eventually they're going to want to go elsewhere to get that book from their favorite author.

History teaches us that Amazon does not want to deal with not having *one* large publisher's books in their marketplace (Macmillan.) They won't screw themselves by banning all six publishers.

They may be able to call the bluff of the Indie publishers, but they won't be able to do it long term for the big six. The question remains, who will blink first? History tells us it will be Amazon.
Going elsewhere is easy in a lot of cases, seeing tons of them are free on the internet.

A more entertaining move would just be removing Macmillan's bestselling books - so they lose all their rankings and recommendations, etc.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote