Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
greektardis
greektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Dxi 2.5.8
Kindle Dx as a second monitor problem

Hi everyone!

I am a writer director who works a lot in front of a monitor and I am trying a hack by tinyapps.org (http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html) to make my kindle dxi as a second monitor.

I have followed all the instructions up to step 3c. When I issue from my mac (terminal) the command|: telnet 192.1687.2.2. It replies "unable to connect"

My mac has recognized Kindle as a RDNIS network device and I have assigned the values IPv4:192.168.2.1 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 on mac's network preferences.

I have also copied Kindle VNC viewer to the storage root of my kindle and installed Vine Server on Mac which is running with the right values on.... (and installed of course usbnetwork and jailbreak)

But it still says "unable to connect"...

Please help!
greektardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Did you enable usbnetwork on the KDX? It has a different sequence than the K3, see the USB networking readme file. The char that begins it in the search input prompt is different (I think it was "^", but I'm not sure anymore).

That said - the "7" in the IP you mentioned in your posting is a typo just in your posting, right?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
greektardis
greektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud ofgreektardis has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reply hawhill!

Yes "7" was a typo in the message...! My mac's IP is 192.168.2.2 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 and router 192.168.2.1. Vine server recognizes 192.168.2.2 when only my mac is connected.

And yes I enabled usb netsorking from my Kindle. I write the commands on my Kindle " :debugON " then " 'usbNetwork " and " ;debugOff " I connect the kindle to my mac by usb cable and iMac's network preferences says that rdnis is connected with ip address 192.168.2.1 (the same with the router is this a problem?)

The vine server recognizes now 192.168.2.2 (iMac) and 192.168.2.1 (Kindledxi)

I then open terminal on my mac and I write telnet 192.168.2.2 and it says connection refused and unable to connect to remote host…

PS
When Rdns is connected I can't connect to the internet
Old 03-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your IP settings are conflicting. Your USB network and your LAN share the same subnet - which is invalid. Configure either of them to a different range - that would include to reconfigure either your Router or USB networking on the KDX, plus the according interface on your PC, of course.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
greektardis

I set up manually the Ip address of RNDIS. I put an Ip address 192.168.2.8. Then I tried to change the subnet mask but it doesn't allow me. So I left it as it is. The vine server sees now my mac and my kindle (192.168.2.8) The nice thing now is that internet is on with this IP on my kindle

Then I tried to change the subnet mask in my router but it doesn't allow me too. (I typed 2555.255.255.1 instead of .0)

is this what you asked me to do? You said something about reconfigure my USB networking on my kindle. Is this what you mean? Or is it something else?

Can you explain to me what I am trying to do with the terminal? By writing telnet 192.168.2.1 I am trying to connect to my routers IP or to my kindles IP. I did write telnet 192.168.2.8 or telnet 192.168.2.2 but it didn't work also...
Old 03-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
seawhite
E Ink Lover
seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle DX white, Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard, K4NT
" :debugON " <---- Is this a typo? Should be ";debugon" (uppercase does not matter here)

I don't use mac, but I remember it was a flavor of unix. So you can use something like "ifconfig" to find out whether it recognizes your dxg
seawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
hawhill
Wizard

greektardis: The 192.168.x.y networks are typically /24 networks, i.e. subnet mask defaults to 255.255.255.0. This means that the full range 192.168.x.1 up to 192.168.x.254 (plus .255, IP broadcast, and technically, the .0 address also belongs to that range) constitute one logical network. You should probably use such a network only on a specific physical network (except where you create bridges, but let's leave that out for now). What that means for you is the following:
- if your LAN is 192.168.2.y (y=0 up to 255), your USB network can't be.
- and the other way around.

So even if you put all the devices on distinct adresses as you did, they are still on the same logical subnet - that won't work. The solution:

- switch your LAN over to a different subnet, e.g. 192.168.0.y - e.g. router on 192.168.0.1 and your PC (LAN interface) on 192.168.0.y (where y != 1)
- OR switch the USB network to a different subnet, i.e. the KDX (in USB network config) and on your PC (RNDIS interface).

One set of devices must leave the 192.168.2.y subnet. You can chose depending on what you find easier (e.g. there might be other devices on your LAN etc.pp.)
Old 03-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
greektardis

Hawhill thanks again for your patience. I am not an expert and it's obvious... I will try your advice tommorow and hope it works!

Seawhite I did type " ;debugOn " in my Kindle. What I wrote in the message was a typo
Old 03-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
;debugon is case insensitive. all lower case is fine.

Like seawhite said.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
greektardis

Twobob tinyapps.org link (http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html) is very specific about using uppercase in these commands (debugOn)

If I have written these commands incorrectly I guess that my mac wouldn't have recognized my Kindle as a Networking device (RDNIS)
Old 03-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah...Been there, that page. About 6 months ago?

And he's a nice fella too. Lovely in fact.

but seriously, I've done it all lowercase. works fine.
However. I am not going to belabour the point. Since, as you correctly point out the mixed case works fine too.

: ) Have a lovely day.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
greektardis

Twobob thanks for your reply!... my problem will be solved though only if I create a subnet on my mac as hawhill suggested.

After 2 days of trying to find out in the web "how to create a subnet for dummies" I didn't manage to find a solution.

So either I call someone to fix my problem or someone out there is kind enough to guide me through the process...
Old 03-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
You don't have to create a subnet. You only have to correctly configure your network adapter.

First, find the file on your Kindle where usbnetwork is configured. I don't have a DX, and don't know how it's done there, but the usbnetwork documentation should point you in the right direction. Then, change the Kindle's usbnetwork IP to 192.168.42.2.

Connect the Kindle to your Computer. In the network settings, find the RNDIS device, and set its IP to 192.168.42.1. Do not mess with the subnet mask (in case it requires one, use 255.255.255.0). Leave all other settings alone.

That should be it. You should be able to ping and SSH your kindle using its IP 192.168.42.2.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #14
greektardis

ixtab thanks a lot! will try that now... even though from a first glance I couldn't understand how to change Kindle's usbnetwork IP. I did enter into the root of my Kindle (usbnet/etc/config) and a Terminal window appeared where I couldn't type anything.... I will continue searching though
Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
twobob

I use a DX to do that.

It's just like Ixtab said.