Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Holden
Enthusiast
Holden began at the beginning.

Device: cybook, kindle3
can't insert chapter break

I uploaded a large file in Sigil ( a large novel, more than 500 pages in a paper book).
The file was orgnally a word doc converted in html.
All the paragraphs are a mess and i am trying to clean it up.

When I try to insert the chapter break, a new section opens but the page is blank and the text is still in the previous page.

What am I doing wrong?
Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
When I try to insert the chapter break, a new section opens but the page is blank and the text is still in the previous page.

What am I doing wrong?
If you inserted the chapter break in Book View mode, you might've simply inserted it in the wrong position.

I'd recommend the following:
- Switch to Code View
- Globally replace all initial chapter header tags (h1,h2,h3...) with <hr class="sigilChapterBreak" /> and the header tag. E.g.:

Find: <h3>
Replace: <hr class="sigilChapterBreak" /><h3>
- Then press F6 (=Split at Chapter Markers)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Holden
Enthusiast

I did it but I got a "no matches found" message.I have tried with h1, h2, etc.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD
Similar to Doitsu said...

Find:
Code:
(<h\d\s)
include the brackets, regex mode

Replace:
Code:
<hr class="sigilChapterBreak" />\1
- Then press F6 (=Split at Chapter Markers)
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Holden
Enthusiast

I don't know what I did, but now it works. thanks al lot
Old 04-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
mrmikel
Book Twiddler
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Nobody said it, but in book view, the cursor must be set at the end of the preceding chapter, NOT at the start of the chapter where you want the break, when you do chapter break. Seems like it ought to be the same but it is not.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Nobody said it, but in book view, the cursor must be set at the end of the preceding chapter, NOT at the start of the chapter where you want the break, when you do chapter break. Seems like it ought to be the same but it is not.
Great catch

Many of Sigils features only work correctly when the cursor (insert caret) is done a certain way.

Split: Must be at End of Line
Heading, center, left, right, justify: someplace ON the line

Other features only work for Selected (highlighted) text:

Bold, Underline, Italic, block indent, block un-indent.
Remove formatting
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #8
Holden
Enthusiast

This is very useful and it explains why the commands sometimes do not work.