Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
U-Bahn
U-Bahn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
pdf to mobi gets cutted into pieces

I got my Kindle DX yesterday and realized that the Kindle DX displays a pdf (high resolution magazine) really unsharp so I tried to convert it into .mobi to see if that is a general issue. The mobi file is displayed really sharp now but each page is cutted into like 8 parts that are divided from each other by horizontal spaces. I tried Calibre, Mobipocket, some online converter and softxyz with the same result. What am I doing wrong? Does .mobi only work with like pure font files or what is the problem?
U-Bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
What am I doing wrong?
Trying to convert a PDF file to anything else.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 04-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
U-Bahn

You cant tell me for real that that's it? I guess the only shaddy thing at the kindle dx is it's pdf converter. Some parts are not readable and compared to the font on the converted .mobi pieces it's a joke. The .mobi files display the orginal pdf so clear. There must be a way because I love kindle dx's size so much.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yes, I'm telling you for real that converting PDF to anything else is rarely easy or straightforward. There's always manual proofing and lots of hands-on correction involved if you want any kind of quality. PDF should be considered a one-way street: you convert something to PDF, but not from PDF. It's just the nature of the PDF format.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
U-Bahn

Ah,ok. Didnt know that. Do you have any advice how to format a magazine that's in pdf somehow to a format that the kindle dx supports better? Have you heard of the same problems with those white strips in between because the internet seems not to offer any topics to that topic that's why I was wondering if it's probably somehow a problem on my pc?
Old 04-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
dwig
Guru
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Dell Venue 8 Pro - Retired:Kindle 3, Clie UX50, T415, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Bahn View Post
...Do you have any advice how to format a magazine that's in pdf somehow to a format that the kindle dx supports better?...
There is no magic bullet.

To start with, read the Stickies at the top of MobleRead's PDF Forum and then search that forum for threads discussing issues similar to yours.

Every PDF is a bit unique and the steps to a usable conversion will vary and will usually require some hand editing. In the case of MOBI being the final format, you'll likely find that you will need to convert to some other editable format first (HTML, ePub, ...), then editing and finally converting to MOBI.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote