Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Deep Cover
Deep Cover began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
new kindle, old PID?

My kindle was lost or stolen (knowing me, probably lost). I got a new one and deregistered the old one. This has led to a small problem.

I use Calibre to manage my library. I've found that I can't change the title on my kindle with files that have DRM. This was a problem, because I'm a fan of mystery books, a genre where it's common to have a series about the same character, and I wanted to insert the series name and number (e.g., Poirot #4) before the title, so that I could see on my kindle which book was next in the series.

Therefore, my practice was to de-DRM AZW files, make the changes I wanted on Calibre, then (re-)upload to the kindle.

I've run into a problem: a book I had preordered several months ago was just published, and it seems it has the PID of my old kindle rather than my new one. Does anyone know where I might find the serial number of my old kindle hidden away somewhere?
Deep Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Go to your "manage my kindle" page at Amazon, select actions -> download and transfer by USB -> new Kindle. This should get you a copy with the new PID.

If not, try downloading to K4PC or K4MAC.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 04-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Deep Cover
Deep Cover began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Bingo! Thanks.
Deep Cover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, drm, serial number