Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
shakaote
shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.

Device: kindle touch
ACX, as requested...

As requested, here's some of what I know about acx files.

acx is a zip, unzip it and looks just like waf (maybe with more hooks into amazon's system than I've seen in waf examples. Of course, waf is pretty much html5 with extra js apis for amazon.

The signature looks like xmlsec, which I'm just getting into. Once I've got that work out, I can play for real. I suspect a nice thing to do for ourselves is to just sign index.html with a link to an unsigned js file, then in the js file load whatever else you want and don't bother with the signing anymore (at least for hacking) - I don't think there's anyway for the system to know that's happening, but we'll see.

There used to (5.1) be a reader_plugins.xml where you could I suppose add your own, but it's gone. So I'm going to hijack another plugin and go from there (don't need wikipedia lookups, for instance).

Gotta go. Will post more as I find it.

PS Anyone who's already fiddled with signing xml or even acx, pls hop in. It's not really the fun part... but it's needed to get things working.
shakaote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
shakaote
shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.

Errr, no. Forgot about the little point of confusion there.

acx as in reader plugins, /opt/amazon/acw/*.acx.

Someone named eureka asked at the end of jbpatch discussion to dump what I'd got so far.
Advert
Old 02-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks for response. I really appreciate it. Documentation about ACX (which stands for Active Content Extensions) could really improve developing experience, as they are much easier to poke with than reader's Java code.

BTW, ACX are in fact W3C Widgets (there is also doc on signing at the linked page).

reader_plugins.xml is embedded in /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/ReaderSDK-impl.jar in new firmwares.

UPD: another doc about Widget's signing. Amazon's keys are stored in /opt/amazon/ebook/security/keystore_mesquite.xml. I guess, you should add your own key to that file to be able to sign widgets.

UPD2: another one doc

Last edited by eureka; 02-26-2013 at 04:19 AM.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
OH, boy - a another kind of "Dev. Certs" - -

Let it be a test of our readers on how well they are keeping up with changes.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
shakaote

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
OH, boy - a another kind of "Dev. Certs" - -

Let it be a test of our readers on how well they are keeping up with changes.
That's what I'm poking at. Or hoping to get time to. Most of what I've dug up about xmlsec1 is informative, but not terribly helpful for getting started. It might be possible to use keys stored in pubdevkeys.pem, or whatever it's called.

Incidentally, where are the private keys for that? Is the password "password"? It's what I would choose :-)
Advert
Old 02-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know something about signing Kindle_Touch_ACX.

But wait (a day or two), howto is missing ATM, I'm just teasing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	homebrew_acx_in_menu.png
Views:	352
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	102071   Click image for larger version

Name:	homebrew_acx_window.png
Views:	348
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	102072  
Old 02-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
shakaote

Oh, very cool!

This will make my kindle much more fun!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
eureka

Wiki page had been updated.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
if I knew a more awesome word than awesome I would use that one...

Awesomer!!!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Wiki page had been updated.
eureka, you seriously ROCK!

Fantastic work!!!

Unfortunately, I probably won't have the time to look into this in the near future. But I'll still post this request:

Please make available one "standard" signing keypair, and encourage everyone to use it from the start.

It's exactly the same fundamental problem as with the jailbreak or the Kindlet developer keys. We have to settle on (ideally) a single keypair which everybody can use to develop, and which users can install to run (any) custom software published here.

If every developer creates his own keypair instead of using the common one, we'll be in the same configuration hell that we've previously been in with the Kindlets.

IMHO, now -- i.e., before people actually start developing -- is the only chance to "standardize" ACX development and deployment (at least in terms of the required certificates/keys), so please do it.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #11
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will happily embed the keys in kual-system for all to use. cheers
Old 02-28-2013, 03:49 AM   #12
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I smell google translate....
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
if I knew a more awesome word than awesome I would use that one...

Awesomer!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
eureka, you seriously ROCK!

Fantastic work!!!
Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
IMHO, now -- i.e., before people actually start developing -- is the only chance to "standardize" ACX development and deployment (at least in terms of the required certificates/keys), so please do it.
I will not post my test key. But, I think, shakaote will post his key, because it will be requirement for using his ACX. So, I guess, his key will become standard, because it will be the first posted key.

But I'd like to add some recommendations:
  • please, set name parameter in PKCS#12 file generation to "HomebrewActiveContentExtensions" -- on a par with "AmazonActiveContentExtensions". Also use this name in XML Signature snippet (it set by default in Python script).
  • don't set any encryption (i.e. passwords) on private key and PKCS#12 file. Just for convenience.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #14
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
I smell google translate....
Help, don't chelp

It is a WIKI after all :P
Old 02-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Thanks, guys.

I will not post my test key. But, I think, shakaote will post his key, because it will be requirement for using his ACX. So, I guess, his key will become standard, because it will be the first posted key.

But I'd like to add some recommendations:
  • please, set name parameter in PKCS#12 file generation to "HomebrewActiveContentExtensions" -- on a par with "AmazonActiveContentExtensions". Also use this name in XML Signature snippet (it set by default in Python script).
  • don't set any encryption (i.e. passwords) on private key and PKCS#12 file. Just for convenience.
Seconded! And maybe advertise in a sticky thread similar to Merged Developer Keystore with a big fat colorful notice.
I don't know about PKCS#12, but FWIW I needed to use "password" for the java keystore, some Unix tools would refuse to work when the password is null.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote