Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Confirm Remove Book & Exit Reader

Must Have : Where is the setting to force Calibre to ask for confirmation of Book Removal when the Delete key is pressed on the main library screen. On my keyboard the Del & PgDn keys are adjacent. it's very easy to hit the wrong one

Should Have : Would it be possible to provide a setting to use Escape as a way to exit the Reader. Ctrl/X doesn't work, Alt/F4 is awkward, Alt/Space + 5 Downs is no better, grabbing the mouse, finding the pointer, moving it to the top right corner and left clicking is hard work. I use various programs to read images, pdf's etc - almost all of them provide a setting lets me use Escape as the way out of the program.

Nice to Have : A setting in the Reader to have it operate vertically, I find its horizontal orientation at best disconcerting, but most of the time it's tediously annoying. I appreciate it's because of the book metaphor; but Calibre runs on a computer, when I press PgDn/Up in my browser, word processor, spreadsheet, pdf reader etc they scroll up and down, not side ways. And its inconsistent with vertical scroll bar, which does work up and down rather than sideways.

Thanks - BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-01-2012 at 08:30 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
number one is under preferences>behavior
button right above use internal viewer settings.

For the other two you can disable the internal viewer for any file tyoe and use the viewer of your choice

Helen

PS I use the spacebar on the calibre viewer to go from page to page. I love that feature.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 04-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Click preferences in the viewer and turn off the page turn animations.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs up

Helen -I turn those things off out of habit, I must be more careful

I like space bar to for paging too, my pdf reader does it, as do my image viewers. I want as few readers as possible - I'll probably convert most of my word processing & pdfs to MOBI and archive the originals.

kovid - my viewer doesn't have "page turn animations", it does have "page flip duration", I set that to 0 (disabled) - voila vertical scrolling

Please don't take my queries as criticisms, I think Calibre is great. I'm mainly using Calibre to catalogue my documents library, I'm thinking of using it to catalogue my picture and music libraries - its the first program of its kind that makes sense to me.

This forum is good too, I get sensible answers to my silly questions -in other forums its the reverse.

Cheers BR (looking forward to having an Escape exit from the reader)

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-02-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Calibre is pretty wonderful.

The viewer is pretty wonderful too. While not as smooth looking as some, the fact that it does good with most formats and is pretty intuitive (IMO) makes it a star. Every month it seems that I discover another useful feature and at least most features are easily accessible via the side panel. Other readers such as Sony/Kindle you have to click here there and everywhere to even get a different option.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Um actually, it is just an ePub viewer; other formats get converted before being viewed!
PeterT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Um actually, it is just an ePub viewer; other formats get converted before being viewed!
So I should convert my stuff to EPUB, I read somewhere (not here) that Calibre's native format was MOBI - I just accepted that as gospel

Thanks for the hint PeterT

BR
Old 04-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #8
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
[QUOTE=BetterRed;2027466]So I should convert my stuff to EPUB, I read somewhere (not here) that Calibre's native format was MOBI - I just accepted that as gospel/QUOTE]

Yep, Peter is right; inasmuch Calibre has a 'native' format, it's ePub.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote