Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
The original Vox charger is rated for 100-240 VAC 50/60 Hz input and has provision for interchangeable prongs, so it should work anywhere in the world if you have the right adapter prongs. There is a similar Vox charger on Ebay with a different style of interchangeable prongs that sells for $7.99 plus $3.00 shipping.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #17
ZX81
ZX81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
If a Kobo charger is best for you, that's good. My reasons for liking the cable approach are:

1. I've got a drawer full of cables, including these two, but I'd never tried them together. So it's free, which is my kind of solution

2. It seems that the 2 amp output needed for a straight Vox charger doesn't apply to this solution. I've been charging mine for the last week on a Kindle keyboard USB charger, rated about 800mA. It also charges off a cigarette lighter USB adapter (rated 1A) from the 12V electrics in my car and my boat. I've even charged it off a USB hub, although I've not had the courage to try a USB port on my laptop, in case it overloads it.

3. With a few other cables, which I've already got for other devices, I can charge everything off one small Kindle charger, rather than carry multiple chargers
ZX81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Well, ZX81, it looks like you have it figured out and "free" is always the best solution, especially if you have the materials on hand. I do like the Kobo 2 amp charger and the equivalent I got on eBay because it charges pretty fast.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
oldyellr
Evangelist

The charger I got on eBay was specifically for the Vox and it works. Here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-2A-High-P...item43af643505
If the link isn't allowed here, PM me.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #20
oldyellr
Evangelist

I thought I'd update this thread since there are still a lot of Vox readers out there, but chargers seem to disappear. In recent months I've loaned my spare Vox chargers to relatives who promptly lose them. Twice now I've tried to replace my spare charger with items advertised on line as "5V 2A High Power AC Adapter Adaptor Home Wall Fast Charger for Kobo VOX eReader" but when plug them in to the Vox, they don't charge. So buyer beware. Now I'm going to see if I can modify the cable on one of the duds I've bought.
Advert