Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Mygrrls
Mygrrls began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Conversion for iPad

I am new to all of this and I am having some difficulty converting a file so I can read it on my iPad. I believe that the trouble is around the page break. When I transfer the file I am unable to see the whole page. If I make the text smaller more of the page shows and if I make the text larger less of the page shows. Does anyone know how to fix this. I am trying to convert a non-DRM epub file.

Thanks,
Mygrrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
JSWolf
Suspended
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Like I've said before this is NOT an iPad issue. But either an issue with the eBook or the app. Please have a moderator fix the topic so it will reflect what the problem actually is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
Mygrrls

I never said it was an iPad issue. It is a problem with the format of the conversion. Just would like some help formatting it so I can read it on my iPad.

I have to say that people on this forum are really rude. I just new and looking for some assistance and I am getting nasty responses. Thanks for nothing.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Does the text reflow when you increase the I've on the iPad? If no, then the problem is likely to be that the eBook contains scanned mages rather than text. There is nothing much you can do with such books.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Mygrrls

yes the text does reflow. On the calibre reader it says 1000 pages but once installed in ibooks it says 70 pages. I don't know how to format the page breaks or font as I suspect this is what needs to happen. I am grateful for your help
Old 03-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
What type of conversion have you done? What format did you convert from and to?
PeterT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Mygrrls

The original file is an epub file and I am trying to convert to epub for ibooks. It appears that each major title is a new page so I have a new heading at the top as I go from page to page but it only shows as much text as will fit. Since you can't move up and down I can access the rest of the text. Is there a special setting I need to use in order for the reader to detect "soft" page returns (or whatever that would be called)?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The problem is that in an eBook there is normally no such concept as a fixed sixe page with breaks between pages. The closest one gets is a style attached to something like a heading that says "start on new page".

I have never had to convert any of my ePub files to make them work on my iPad. I can use the same ePub file on my ipad and Sony PRS-950 without any issues of the sort you are describing.

It has got to be something internal to the specific eBook you are trying to work wit, and without having it available to examine its internal formatting it is impossible to guess at the cause.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
JSWolf
Suspended
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
There is one possible solution. Try installing Bluefire Reader for the iPad and see if that works with your ePub. Bluefire uses Adobe Digital Editions and should work better then iBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
Mygrrls

I actually tried that (bluefire) and it was way worse. I couldn't enlarge the text or shrink it and it was really messy. Maybe it is the file. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygrrls View Post
I am new to all of this and I am having some difficulty converting a file so I can read it on my iPad. I believe that the trouble is around the page break. When I transfer the file I am unable to see the whole page. If I make the text smaller more of the page shows and if I make the text larger less of the page shows. Does anyone know how to fix this. I am trying to convert a non-DRM epub file.

Thanks,
What format are you converting TO?

The only reason I can figure is the file is made up of IMAGES of pages that do not flow when size changes..
I will agree with the Wolfman, this is a not an to iPad issue (I just don't know what to change the title TO or I would)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
It sounds like there may be a Pre tags surrounding each chapter and maybe some font size tags in play. Definitely a formatting problem within the book itself. Backup your ebook and then try converting to Mobi and back to ePub. Or to some other format then back to epub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The only reason I can figure is the file is made up of IMAGES of pages that do not flow when size changes..
This seems to have been ruled out in posts 4 and 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I will agree with the Wolfman, this is a not an to iPad issue (I just don't know what to change the title TO or I would)
Whether or not it is an iPad issue is not the point. The title is descriptive of what the OP is doing, leave it be.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-24-2012 at 09:44 PM.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, iPad2, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS T3, Nexus 7
Quote:

Thanks,
Could I suggest that we need a little more information before we can give you much help?
- Have you tried the ebook on anything else than an iPad - or on the ADE desktop reader? If so, how does it work?
- Have you checked the ebook with FlightCrew or ePubCheck to see if it validates - that is, is well constructed?
- Where did the ebook come from? Is it one you bought, or did yourself, or came from a free source?

My guess is that there is something wrong with the ebook itself, and if I were in your shoes I'd want to check the structure of the ebook first.

It would also help to know how experienced you are with ebooks and editing them.

Finally, if it's a Public Domain ePub and you don't feel competent in opening it up and editing it yourself you may be able to get one of the experts on the forum to have a look at it for you.

I hope this helps.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
Mygrrls

I figured out the problem but now I need some help on how to fix it. The book file has columns in it. Rather than go to the next page the file is somehow converting into columns. How can I delete the column commands in the file. I found them by right clicking in the calibre reader but don't know how to edit. Help with this would be great.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
I figured out the problem but now I need some help on how to fix it. The book file has columns in it. Rather than go to the next page the file is somehow converting into columns. How can I delete the column commands in the file. I found them by right clicking in the calibre reader but don't know how to edit. Help with this would be great.
The only columns I know of are inside a Table (AFAIK Calibre will not ever create a table, where none exists) and it is not simple to undo.
Code:
<TR>
<TD>Left col  stuf</TD>
<TD>Right col  stuf</TD>
</TR>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote