Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
AlysonofBathe
AlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five words

Device: kobo
1001 books?

Hi everyone!

I'm super new here, loving my kobo! I've been taking great advantage of Project Gutenberg, enjoying free classics. I'm currently working my way through the 1001 books list and blogging about it [Link deleted - MODERATOR] Anyone also attempting the list? I'd love some more company!

Cheers,
Alyson

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-21-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Still waiting for an A5 one.
Sound repulsive ! Why would anyone want to measure his literacy and in such a crude way ? Number of books ? Why not kilograms of books while we're at it ? It's like those contests "Who can eat the most hotdogs in an hour".
Old 03-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
AlysonofBathe
AlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five words

It's hardly crude - canonical classics. If you take issues with the canon, that's fine, but to call it crude on the basis that it's a lot of reading, that's just ignorant.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenb0rsuk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Somehow, the books are listed by quantity (and by century), not by topic, theme, their influence on X or anything. So yes, the number is their defining attribute. It's an "alpha reader" thing, to put it mildly.

So many books on the list and I find it hard to take seriously. I mean...
"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick ? It's an okay book, but one of the best ? No way ! For me it's one of the worse books by the author. Also, Neuromancer is on the list. It may have been an influential book, but it's been copied so many times it's almost a waste of time now. Everything it has has been done somewhere else. Hardly a book you must read, unless you're a historian. Steppenwolf - hippies loved it, but today it inspires no one. It just shows sensibilities of the time (like: Jazz sucks because it's so mainstream).
And yes, I know I just pulled a "guilt by association" fallacy.

I'm glad I haven't started going through the list. I'd rather follow my own taste. I would never have discovered Robert Sheckley or Roald Dahl if I used this list. No Machiavelli. A dedicated but not obsessed person can read about 6000 books in his lifetime. I could understand if it was my wife's list, but otherwise...

Last edited by b0rsuk; 03-21-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
AlysonofBathe

I not going to debate the merits of the list with someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about and has no interest in the subject.

The number listing is chronological, with 1 being the most recent and 1001 being the oldest. It's an organizational principle, not a defining attribute, whatever it is you mean by that.

While you may not have enjoyed Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, you can't speak for the majority of SF fans. And Neuromancer is the very reason why cyberpunk is a genre. Both influential works worthy of being read by those who are interested. You are clearly not, and that's fine, but please don't insult my past-time and the past-time of countless others working on the list. A quick Google search will tell you I'm not alone in my interest. So please back off with the insults and leave this thread for people interested.

Sheesh.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
b0rsuk
meles meles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonofBathe View Post
I not going to debate the merits of the list with someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about and has no interest in the subject.
Ah, the classic Blizzard Forum argument. You are wrong because you "clearly don't know what you're talking about."

Quote:
While you may not have enjoyed Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, you can't speak for the majority of SF fans. And Neuromancer is the very reason why cyberpunk is a genre.
Aside from the fact that Cyberpunk has turned out to be a fad, because no one predicted the Internet in its form, your counter-argument boils down to "many people". We could use the same principle and replace researchers with a voting system.

As for Androids..., its only claim to fame is that a brilliant movie has been made, and based loosely on the book. The book itself is creative but not exceptional. There's a saying it's easier to make a great movie from an average book than a good movie from a great book. This book is a great example to support this claim. A inspired B, B is great, therefore A is great...

Quote:
So please back off with the insults and leave this thread for people interested.
Don't worry, you've made yourself clear enough that I wouldn't want to talk to you. I promise to stay away from this thread.

Last edited by b0rsuk; 03-21-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #7
AlysonofBathe

Please don't feed the troll.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookSTR, Droid Razr HD, KoboMini, Asus Transformer Infinity
Forgive my ignroance, but what exactly is the 1001 books? Who compiled it and what was the criteria? A link perhaps?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(WiFi) / FireHD; Kindle DX-G; Kobo-AuraHD,Glo,Mini; Ipad Air
Moderator Notice

This is thread is now closed due to the continuing rudeness of some members. As well, promotional blog posts belong in the Shameless Blog/Review/Website.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-21-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Closed Thread