Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
LolaJay
Enthusiast
LolaJay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Question To root or not to root?

I've been lurking on this forum for a while, trying to absorb as much info as possible. All in all, it's be very educational. You guys are an excellent resource!

Now for the inevitable stupid question: what is the purpose of rooting the Vox? I bought mine to use primarily as an e-reader, but also for quick gmail and FB checks, etc. I've got some basic computer knowledge, but I'm not at all familiar with the concept of rooting.

So I guess I'm wondering a) what does it mean? and b) do I want/need to do it? I would like to use my Vox for more things if possible. Does rooting the Vox allow for that?

Thanks in advance for your patience with my stupid questions. It's been a steep learning curve for me.
LolaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
kcarscadden
Connoisseur
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Sony 505, iPod Touch, Kobo Vox
The primary reason to root the Vox was to add the Google Play market, which is no longer necessary since the latest update. And the latest update removes the easiest way to do the root.
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 06-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
BWinmill
Wizard
BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Rooting gives you full access to the hardware. Technically, very few people had to root the Vox since you could sideload apps without full access. Yet a lot of people decided that the convenience of using Google Play made it worth the trouble of rooting it. As kcarscadden mentioned, the latest update includes Google Play so very few people remain interested in rooting the Vox.

Which is just as well since, to my knowledge, the only way to root the Vox with the latest update involves a screwdriver and a computer running Linux. It isn't for the faint of heart, but it is doable.

(The other reason to root the Vox is to remove some of the third party apps that Kobo ships on the Vox.)
BWinmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
LolaJay
Enthusiast
LolaJay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Thanks for the explanation guys. Glad to know I don't really have to worry about it now.
LolaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #5
baron604
baron604 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Rooting also gives you the ability to kill all the obnoxious crapware it comes bundled with. Being in charge of your own device, seriously, why is that optional ?

The other upside is that while you're popping out the internal microSD card you can upgrade to a 32GB at the same time.
baron604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
BWinmill
Wizard
BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm assuming that it's optional because Kobo is probably paid to include that crapware. If they weren't being paid for it, it wouldn't make sense to include it since people could simply download it from the market place. (Presumably it was in the original market placed used by Kobo, and it's almost certainly in Google Play.)

But yeah, I removed that stuff. I didn't benchmark things, but my Vox doesn't seem to get bogged down anymore. For added fun, I removed most of the Google stuff too. The amount of tracking that Google does these days is just plain creepy.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy SII
I dont see a problem with the additional software installed, I just ignore them

The same with all the Samsung software on my Mobile
The same with a lot of the Apple software on my iPod

They don't cause any performance issues for me, so I don't worry about them
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
baron604
baron604 began at the beginning.

Device: none
The objectionable part isn't that all the bundled junk is installed, it's that you can't uninstall it without rooting.

Assuming users should just remain ignorant to the fact that software like this consuming resources is an obnoxious move on the part of vendors. As educated consumers we should be demanding better.
baron604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron604 View Post
The objectionable part isn't that all the bundled junk is installed, it's that you can't uninstall it without rooting.

Assuming users should just remain ignorant to the fact that software like this consuming resources is an obnoxious move on the part of vendors. As educated consumers we should be demanding better.
-----------------------

Well said.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
This might be a bit off topic, but how many people take a knife to a paperback book to remove the various advertisements for other books by the author, or for other upcoming materials from the publisher.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #11
BWinmill
Wizard

It's not quite the same. As far as I can tell, Android apps can (and often do) run as background processes. This is true even if they have never been used. Not only does that consume resources, but there are definite privacy implications. (I love Android's permissions system, but it is only useful if people carefully select the apps that they install.)

These apps also make the drawer a bit of a mess, thus making it harder to find the stuff I want.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:55 AM   #12
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy SII
Not sure if there are regional variations here, but I see no 3rd party apps running in the background using resources, just the google os (plus a couple of other google apps) and kobo

the only 3rd party apps I see installed are Zinio, Press Reader & INQ, non of these have any background processes (for me), they only take up a little bit of storage (around 20 meg)
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #13
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
These apps also make the drawer a bit of a mess, thus making it harder to find the stuff I want.
If you use GO Launcher, you can hide apps in the app drawer.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
bobbert
bobbert began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Newbie here, but I've been lurking for a while. I still want to root to get rid of unwanted apps that hog resources and make videos stutter. Short of converting to a linux box, is there any way to do it after the google play update??
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
The linux part isn't the tricky part...you can boot off a live cd to do this. The tricky part is you have to open the vox and remove the internal sd card in order to put it into your computer to work with...
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote