Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Joanna
Connoisseur
Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: none
How to rotate all/even/odd pages?

Could you recommend me any free program to bulk rotate all/even/odd pages in a PDF document?

So far, I've used a little program called PDF Rider but it stopped working on my computer and reinstalling doesn't seem to do the trick.

I've spent last two hours looking for something on the Internet and all I've come up with is:
- PDF Split and Merge - it works with some files but not with the one I want to rotate (the progress bar shows 100% but nothing happens),
- PDFFill (free tools) - it rotates pages but not the way it should (e.g. all pages instead of the odd ones, or with a different angle - despite of the settings),
- pdftk - not a big fan of command line .
- PDFTK Builder - no odd/even pages option.

Last edited by Joanna; 03-11-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
I would probably extract the PDF as 600 dpi images, run them through Scan Tailor and then convert them back to PDF.

If you're looking to preserve the text, Adobe Acrobat can also rotate. I don't know if it can "batch" rotate all even/odd pages... but even if you do it manually, it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Joanna
Connoisseur
Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Joanna is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Thanks for the answer. The book consisted of images only (quite a bad scan, actually) so the first method would actually work well. What would you use to extract the PDF?

At the end, I decided to use Foxit PDF Editor which is my favorite program for PDF edition. When it comes to rotating pages, it is quite unhandy though - I needed to click four times for every page and it took me much longer than 10 minutes .

I'm still looking for a better solution for future use.

Adobe Acrobat is too expensive.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
ab7vf
Enthusiast
ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-505 (lost) ,prs-900 (died),dr-800sg, cheap Pandigital
Hi

Too bad about the 'command line' bit

try: pdftk inputfile.pdf cat 1-endW output outputfile.pdf

The "1-endW" rotates entire document 90 degrees counter-clockwise

Takes about 3 seconds or so ... E will rotate 90 degrees clockwise ... etc

Jim
ab7vf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
ab7vf
Enthusiast
ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-505 (lost) ,prs-900 (died),dr-800sg, cheap Pandigital
hi again

addendum

pdftk inputfile.pdf cat 1-endoddW output outputfileoddW.pdf

Will rotate all odd pages 90 degrees counterclockwise

Similiarly .. pdftk inputfile.pdf cat 1-endevenE output outputfileevenE.pdf

Will rotate all even pages 90 degrees clockwise

and filally .. pdftk outputfileoddW.pdf outputfileevenE.pdf shuffle output outputfile.pdf

Will put the pages back in the original order with each page 180 degrees from each other

Jim
ab7vf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Joanna
Connoisseur

Thank you, I definitely have to try this out. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.